vertex vs wiseco pro lite

tmoney

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2002
Mx south sent me a vertex piston instead of the wiseco pro lite, any ideas as to which one is better. Will I be better off with the vertex?

BoneBuster

Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by tmoney
Mx south sent me a vertex piston instead of the wiseco pro lite, any ideas as to which one is better. Will I be better off with the vertex?

I just ordered the Vertex OEM. No name mentioned, but a company called Wiseco, Seizeco instead :)

Aug 6, 2000
I heard of Vertexs blowing a part alot. My cousin and his friends used them for racing but they would just blow apart a lot and they never had that problem when they ran Wiseco pistons those things lasted pretty good

I say tell them they mixed up the order because they sent you the wrong piston anyways and get that wiseco

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
KTMs and Huskys come with vertex pistons stock and some rider get a year out of them in a 125 so i would say they are capable of lasting along time.If a piston breaks after a few hours it could be down to many reasons not related to the make of piston.

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
They are both good pistons but I have had real good results with Wiseco pro-lite pistons. In my bikes they seem to last longer than stock if broken in right.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Sometimes those Vertexs come with a slightly higher C/R so you gotta be sure on what you order.. Id rather have a Wiseco seize than break like a cast piston. I dont seize Wisecos anyway.???? Maybe someone just had a bad experience. I like some stock ar Art Pro=X style pistons sometimes because they run a thicker ring .

r_rider28

~SPONSOR~
Feb 24, 2002
Not everyone follows the correct break in procedure when using forged pistons. If they are not heat cycled properly they could seize due to rapid and irregular expansion. It is a characteristic of the forgiing process that allows stresses in the piston, these stresses have to be relieved by heating and cooling several times. Once the stress has been relieved the piston will expand at a consistent rate throughout the entire piston during warm up. If this is done and the piston still seizes then something else is wrong.

BoneBuster

Apr 22, 2001
I see a lot of postings asking what the black coating is for on the Vertex OEM pistons, and why it wears out so fast. From what I was told by www.Sudco.com, the black coating is to help speed up break in, and will wear off quickly to a shine. This is my 1st time trying a Vertex, hopefully I won't regret not getting the Honda OEM :scream:

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
The black coating is teflon or black moly and its a dry lubricant , it might help keep the bike from seizing or scuffing the piston should you have a problem . Someytomes the film actually impregnates into the metal and inhibits wear even after you can hardly seeit .

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…