Video of my 1977 Yamaha IT 400D fully rebuilt!

thejake456

Sep 24, 2007
cool! u would think for a 400 2 stroke it would wanna pick up more! my friend has a yamaha 462 or something like that and that thing is CRAZZY!!! them older bike were awesome!

ggundamblue

Nov 23, 2007
it does pick up a lot my bro who was riding it popped a wheely in second haha...scared the crap out of him..im running it alittle rich on oil right now for break in. 16:1

todd36

Sep 3, 2007
That brought back some memories. I had a friend in high school that had 77' It400. It was fun to ride, but was the most ill handling beast I have ever rode :) :) your bike looks good

ggundamblue

Nov 23, 2007
todd36 said:
That brought back some memories. I had a friend in high school that had 77' It400. It was fun to ride, but was the most ill handling beast I have ever rode :) :) your bike looks good
\haha thanks...i did a top end rebuild when i got it and the piston was seized and locked...bought a used gas tank tire's cleaned the carb bought a air filter cleaned it off and did a lot of other things and it started right up. i have to put gas in the spark plug hole when its cold its about 40 or so were i live...so its hard cold starting it. its still not totally done i don't think air to fuel is right.

todd36

Sep 3, 2007
On the cold starting, make sure the passage in the float bowl for the choke enrichment is clean. I start with a dry float bowl and gently fill the chamber up with carb cleaner then watch and see if the bottom of the float bowl is getting wet. It is a very small orifice and plugs up easily

ggundamblue

Nov 23, 2007
ya i just got a helmet today. im running it abit rich though because of break in. the bike calls for 20:1 but for break in's it calls for 16:1 but ehh idk if i got the air to fuel right...any tips on that? thanks!

N3WFI3

Oct 31, 2007
back in the day oil was crap that's why they say 20:1, but now that's way to much, oil technology has advanced a lot

with big bore 2 strokes they rev slower then smaller ones
so it would be safe to run 32:1 all the time or 40:1 after break in
the most oil i would go with is 24:1 during break in

right now your mixture is running more lean because of more oil

24:1 32:1 and 40:1 are all richer because it's
more gas and a little less oil

Top Bottom