Voltage regulator, 1989 vs 90 model

battery

May 25, 2005
I have an E2 ('90) and my brother has an E1. He has ridden without lights since he got it. He replaced the bulbs and they instantly popped upon opening the throttle.

I thought I was smart, and pointed out that his Voltage regulator had probably been discarded with the airbox lid.

Well, the 89 parts diagram shows NO SUCH PART, although the '90 has it listed. (PN# 21066-1072)

Was there a different setup for the 89 vs the 90? The bikes are just about identical otherwise. Can we retrofit a 90-94 VR to the 89?

Thanks

kdxquebec

Mar 16, 2002
nice brotherhood! wonderful :)

The 89 came from the factory without voltage regulator.

you can install a stock OEM one or just buy a MSR or moose regulator for 10$-15$

Also,I run my 89 model without voltage regulator with no problem.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Battery - Just curious are your E2 and E1 models otherwise configured the same? Same pipe etc? The E2-E5 KDX's have the timing set a couple of degrees different than the E1 KDX's. I'd be interested to know if you can tell a difference if the bikes are other wise similar.

battery

May 25, 2005
Morie,
The E1 has a race history, Pro circuit pipe, race tech goodies, etc. My E2 was bone stock including the airbox lid at 15 years old!

The E1 has been ridden hard, I think. The pipe makes it sound "tinnier", and the suspension is a little better, but everythying else seems identical to the E2. Body parts, Pipe, and just about everything else in the parts diagrams are identical. Power wise, I dont notice a huge difference between the two.

kdxquebec,
Are you running lights? We cant seem to get them to work. I will look into the aftermarket VR

Thanks!

Top Bottom