bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
(Disclaimer – this is a Ride Report, but it is the sequel to last years Ride/Hike Report on Wallace in this forum.)

Karl and I finally had a chance to return to the trails of Wallace, Idaho. Anyone that read my report on last year’s ride will recall that we had some difficulties that resulted in our getting almost off of the map and completely off the intended loop (we were NOT lost though)– with no money, low on gas and low on water. Short story version, we both survived but only after Karl’s bike overheated, we ran out of water and finally ran out of gas then hiked 5 miles which would have been 2 miles longer had I not sprinted, down the last 100 yards (in my riding boots and most of my gear) to the main road when I heard a truck approaching. Thanks to some friendly quad riders (Karl says they weren’t friendly, just scared by the site of a blonde with helmet hair running out from the bushes screaming “STOP!!!”), we hitched a ride back to our truck and hauled buns back to where we had ditched our gasless bikes and most of the gear since we just knew that one of the cars we had met on our hike were going to steal our bikes.

Now, over a year later, the weather was perfect and the love of my life was determined that we ride the loop mapped out for us NO MATTER WHAT! We left the house bright & early on our journey, stopping to pick up Karl’s brother (D). I think that Karl was concerned that he might need backup if we strayed from the map this time. We unloaded and talked to another trio from the local KTM dealership. They had a map too so we compared maps and discussed which routes we were taking. We were going to take the eastern trails & they were heading more west.

We started off with a little confusion. Karl told me to head up the trail to the right. Then he and his bro jumped in behind me. I hit the first switchback, thinking wow, this trail seems pretty wide compared to what I remember. As I dropped my bike on the switchback to get it out of my system, Karl & D pulled up and Karl signaled to turn around and take the left instead. Allrighty then. Karl headed back down to the other trail while D & I turned around to follow. I took a left, where Karl was waiting and he motioned me on as I briefly thought, “hope D sees where we turned". Now the trail looked more like I remembered – narrow, rocky, rutty but some great scenery if you dare take your eyes off the trail ahead. I hit the goat trail section soon enough. Oh, yes NOW I remember all too clearly – don’t look down, don’t look down, damn that’s a LONG ways down!!!!!

Most of the riding I have done in Idaho, all 4 trips have been over similar terrain – absolutely beautiful country where you can see nothing but mountains forever. All of the trails have been goat trails cut into the side of the mountains. They twist, they turn, they are rocky and rooty some even have ruts and they are not over one foot wide in most places and barely wider than my rear tire in some. Looking down some of the banks you just have to know that if you do survive a fall, you won’t be happy! I am always a bit slow and shaky (okay so I could walk faster than I ride on these suckers) when I first get back on the goat trails. Karl has commented that I shouldn’t look down to see just how bad a crash would be instead, I should concentrate on the trail and ignore the fact that there is no landing except at the bottom waaaayyyyyy dddddoooowwwwnnnnn ttttthhhheerrrreeee. Yep, that’s what I do look at the trial and then down the bank, back to the trail, down the bank – grip HARDER! I am sure that you really wouldn’t feel much until you hit the bottom and then you might not feel anything there either so why worry?

So I’m cruising (1st gear with one foot dabbing into the bank) and I hear a bike behind me as my handlebars hit a rock outcropping – youch that was close. I stop to regain my composure, look back and realize that it’s the other guys right behind me. I finally get to a wide spot and pull over to let the other group by. The first one tells me my guys are down below and heading up. Now I’m worried because nobody would have trouble catching up to me on these trails. I listen and wait, listen & wait the guys finally get there. Apparently D missed the turn so Karl had to chase him down. Okay, so we are all on the same trail now.

Off we go. I was getting used to the goat trails so I stepped it up a bit, ¼ throttle in 2nd!!! I see the guys every so often sometimes I even get close enough to see some dust from their tires. They stop and wait for me on particularly ugly sections and at intersections. Someone has to witness the comic relief on the ride and note where to put the grave marker!

It was a beautiful day for a ride and you couldn’t ask for a better place to be riding (well maybe a little wider on the sides). We had miles of trails with fantastic fall colors and no one else in sight. Even the really narrow goat trails were fun once I got used to them again. We hit some breathtaking view spots, some rocky body beating sections (I still hate those big loose square rocks after my crash at Vantage, it makes my leg hurt just to look at them). There was some nice fast singletrack areas where I actually hit 3rd gear. I made it up the Mastadon Hillclimb on my second try. Karl & D were already on top of the peak to watch the show. I guess they thought I was going to go around when I didn’t make it the first time but my motto is 3 tries before you can go around unless you break something. This isn’t a particularly tough hill but it’s long and pretty steep with fairly big ruts, lots of rocks but wide open so most people hit it in 2nd or 3rd gear which means 1st to 2nd for me.

This was one of the best rides I’ve been on, warm but not hot, beautiful scenery and good company. Initially I wasn’t too thrilled about riding the goat trails again and I tried to get Karl to just go with D but he really wanted me to join them. I did question why he brought the pistol along, he said it was in case we encountered wounded animals but I wasn’t too sure that it wasn’t for wounded humans. I even amazed myself (and the guys) in a couple tricky sections where I managed to make it up & over some slimey rocks & some rock steps. Of course the guys were quite entertained listening to me as I talked my bike through sections and yelled at the really ugly downhill switchbacks, trees, rocks, cliffs………..that’s why I ride so far behind nobody can hear me plus less dusty and I don’t get as dirty!!

It was certainly a beautiful time of year to be in the mountains of Idaho. The fall colors were amazing and the best part was, we all made it back to the truck, just before dusk and NO ONE ran out of gas or water!!!!!!!

Last edited:

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
Bbbom,

Sounds like you had a great ride. I lived in that neck of the woods for two years but didn't ride much at the time (and didn't know anyone on a bike or what trails to ride). Looking back I have to kick myself. Idaho is an off-Road paradise. Glad your ride was more successfull this year.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
bbbom, sounds like a great ride! Your ride reports are always so descriptive--I found myself getting sweaty palms just thinking about those goat trails! Definitely sounds like fun trail, though!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Sounds fun! I think I recognize your goat trail--did you ride up to Mastodon Mtn? That is where Paul W. took Becky and I back in July. It was beautiful then, still some snow up on top. Did you cross Slade (or is it Slate?) creek? We must have crossed it 3 or 4 times--not once did I make it the first try. :think:

Sounds like fun!

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
:thumb:

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Tigerowner, you nailed it - Idaho is a dirtbike paradise but we have to work hard to keep it that way.

Thanks for the compliment Lori, I owe it all to my HS Creative Writing teacher!!!! ;)

Yep Firecracker - up to Mastadon and across Slate Creek 3 times, at least I think it was Slate each time! You know how well I remember trails, I still get lost on Mica!!!

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Way cool report (as always) - another A hehehe
I wanna see some of these trails (preferably from a helicoper & not a bike lol).
Michelle

Pegasus

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
Bbbom...I be talkin to my self and my bike all the time..especially in terrain like that. I sing little songs like .. "Look ahead dont look down your gonna be fine..la la la " With a chorus of various asundry expressive words !!!!
We rode out of Baumgartner Idaho in Aug.. sooo beautiful .. when you could stop to look :-)... I liked ridding just before sunset...the mountains looked golden.

Hey ..great ride report !

Last edited:
Top Bottom