want to get into dirt bikes this summer

deus402

Mar 17, 2008
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6'3 270 lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
very
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
mainly fields, minimum maintenance roads, and creek/river riding. there is an offroad park nearby, i might check that out sometimes too. wheelie practice and jumping terraces in fields.
4) Do you have any riding experience?
lots of experience on a street bike, ridden dirt a couple times.
5) Do you think you will race ?
no, but i plan on riding like i am :)
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
yes, i am very mechanically inclined, and will be doing all my own work, for the most part.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
my street bike is a suzuki, so i lean towards them, but am more open to anything that comes up thats the right price.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
i am looking for an older bike, so getting one from a dealer isn't really an option, but we do have several dealers here so i should be able to get parts for any brand. that and i have the internet.

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
don't really want to spend more than $1000
10) Do you live in California?
nope, i'm in nebraska, so no emission concerns for me.
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

i test rode a bike this weekend, can't remember the brand, but it was an older 4 stroke 250, and there was just no power, so i know i need something bigger. i know a 2 stroke 250 will be more powerful, but with my size and weight i'm stil not sure it will be enough. part of the problem is that a have a gsx-r 1000 street bike, so everything seems slow as dirt to me.... anyways, i have been looking at the drz 400 and rmz 450 bikes on ebay, but i haven't found anything old enough to be in my price range. i don't really care if its a dual purpose bike or not, but it could come in handy.

any ideas on what years/models i should be looking at to get me below the $1000 price range? i don't really want to spend more, because will probably either get bored with it or destroy it this summer.

deus402

Mar 17, 2008
maybe something like this would be ok?
1994 KX250 KAWASAKI DIRT BIKE - $1200

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Maybe an XR400 or even 600/650 would be a good physical fit for you. The price point is going to be tough so plan on shopping around a lot. Dirt is a different world from GSX-land so accept that fact and have fun in both areas as intended. OR just slap some knobbies on your GSX-R :laugh:

deus402

Mar 17, 2008
got full on into dirt bikes for $20

I ended up picking up 10 dirtbikes for $1200, most of them were non-running 70's era bikes, but there was a good 1981 xr250r in the lot, so i kept it and resold the rest. i have 2 bikes left for sale and i have already made back $1380, so that even covered my truck rental and fuel costs to make the 380 mile round trip to pick them up.

i went riding last weekend, and had a blast, but i have already broke many things. is there a good source for aftermarket parts for the old xr bikes? i can't find anyone that has stuff pre 1986 or so.

I would post pics but i can't figure it out, keeps saying that i am trying to post a link....

deus402

Mar 17, 2008
pics

here it is, this site sure makes it hard to get a picture up...

Attachments

• DSC01947-1.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 108
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…