psustang89

Jun 22, 2006
Has anyone ever experienced trouble after spraying off their bike??? I was out last Friday and got pretty muddy. Planning on doing a wheel bearing change, I sprayed the bike off with a normal hose, not a pressure washer or anything. I took the bike out yesterday and it WOULD NOT start! I went through 4 plugs. When trying to push start it, it wanted to run, but just back fired and bogged out. It started and ran briefly with a new plug (10 seconds) but then bogged and stalled and smoked heavily. After that a puff of smoke came out of the pipe with every kick. I'm assuming I got water into the carb somehow, but was just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. It started 2nd kick when I put it away before washing it...

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
psustang89 said:
Has anyone ever experienced trouble after spraying off their bike??? I was out last Friday and got pretty muddy. Planning on doing a wheel bearing change, I sprayed the bike off with a normal hose, not a pressure washer or anything. I took the bike out yesterday and it WOULD NOT start! I went through 4 plugs. When trying to push start it, it wanted to run, but just back fired and bogged out. It started and ran briefly with a new plug (10 seconds) but then bogged and stalled and smoked heavily. After that a puff of smoke came out of the pipe with every kick. I'm assuming I got water into the carb somehow, but was just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. It started 2nd kick when I put it away before washing it...

Do you plug the exhaust pipe when you wash it? Any chance you got water in the exhaust (or down the intake)?

I use a rubber exhaust plug in the silencer and a twin air cover (where the air filter would be) to prevent water in the exhaust and the twin air cover in place of the filter allows me to wash out the airbox without having to worry about getting water down the intake.

psustang89

Jun 22, 2006
I tore it apart tonight and found water down the intake. Hopefully that's where it stopped. I tore the carb apart and dried it. Tomorrow I'll go buy some new plugs and see what happens.

Top Bottom