WD40 on Carb, engine as a whole...?

Kaxter

May 25, 2003
My carb (the outside of it) is totaly caked with muck, the engine is kind of messy...there is greas and oil and such on it. I was just wondering if I could use WD40 on most all of the outside of the engine and carb. Also, my Pro Circuit pipe has a little rust on the bottom of it...can I use WD40 on the outside of the pipe as well? I just bought the bike and am terribly new. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

jho410

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
I spray the entire engine and pipe down after every wash/ride. I have never seen any negative effects. I do avoid hoses and rubber if poss.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I buy WD40 by the gallon and douse the bike (except for the brakes) after every wash. It make it easier to clean the next time and it prevents rust since it disperses the water. It works good to clean spooge off of things too.

WD40 will not hurt the bearings. In fact I purposely spray it around all of my
linkage bearings to chase the water away. I've never had any problems. It won't hurt the rubber either. I use WD40 to lube my tires when I put them on.

YZThumper

~SPONSOR~
Aug 6, 2001
The manual for my 03 CRF450 advises you to spray WD-40 on the linkage, swingarm bearings and wheel bearings to displace the water after washing the bike. I doubt WD-40 will do any harm to bearings or seals, especially if you perform routine maintenace by regreasing these areas on a regular basis.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Originally posted by TechKid
THe only problem with WD40 is it takes away the greaser out of the bearings and then they run dry.
Sorry.. that is NOT correct.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom