Welding KIPS Shaft bolt??? Small bearing??

jhkinzinger

Mar 15, 2007
I should have read the manual. While taking top end apart, snapped the LHT bolt. I don't really want to to take clutch side crank case apart to replace the shaft so I thought I might try welding the bolt back into place. Has anyone tried this? Good idea? Bad idea?

Also where in the world does the small bearing go after taking the KIPS/top-end apart? It just fell out.

THanks

RickSA

Jan 24, 2008
Thats a mess!! Don't think there is a bearing evolved with the KIPS or anywhere there. :think: Don't know where it could have come from while working only with the KIPS and cylinder!!

I would just try clean up where it broke and weld a RHT bolt on in it's place. Cut the head off at the right lenth and then at least after the weld you can clean up with a die Use locktite to keep the nut from working loose when you reassemble! Be careful not to warp the shaft welding it!

Good luck
Rick

N8Strine

Feb 26, 2008
No you dont want to weld that at all!!!! the LHT isnt the problem all you need to do is hold the shaft when taking the nut off. If you broke the theads then you also snapped the lever comp governor inside the cases so looks like you will be taking the clutch covers off. That part is floating around somewhere in there/.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
jhkinzinger said:
I should have read the manual. While taking top end apart, snapped the LHT bolt. I don't really want to to take clutch side crank case apart to replace the shaft so I thought I might try welding the bolt back into place. Has anyone tried this? Good idea? Bad idea?

Also where in the world does the small bearing go after taking the KIPS/top-end apart? It just fell out.

THanks
Attach a lawnmower throttle where the shaft was and run a cable up to your handle bars and operate the kips manually (joke) I would opt for the replacement option. don't weld you probably damadged the govenor

Last edited:

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
That little bearing you are talking about- do you not mean a single ball? and a small spring? They came from the left hand side of the head, there is a cam with a detent in it under the slotted cover on the left side.

Top Bottom