tn220

Nov 1, 2004
I'm finially getting around to welding a bracket on my bike for the trailtech kickstand and I need to know if theres anything electronic that I need to unplug before I weld on the bike. I dont want the surge from the welder to damage anything. Thanks..tn220

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
Can you post a pic once the sidestand is welded on? I'd like to see it how it turns out. The stand on my 98 220 has been sore spot for me ever since I've owned the bike (2000).

I can't help you with your welding question...sorry.

Chuck

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
I just did a weld on post for a dampner this past weekend, main items to look out for are the CDI box and the coil maybe even the magneto(stator),I just disconnected these(pulled plugs) and had no problems.I believe the main item to watch out for is the CDI box though.

DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
Protect your CDI and locate your ground as close as possible to where you are welding. 95% of the voltage produced by your arc will drain directly too the ground so having it as close as possible will prevent almost all of your stray voltage.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Yeah, attach your ground near where you are welding and you are good to go. You don't need to unplug anything. Been welding for years with no problems on many cars, trucks, jeeps, etc. Never had a computer problem yet.

Phil

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
Same as 1tontj get that ground on there good with good contact to bare metal and close to (on the same peice of frame etc.) where you intend to weld. Never had a prob.

tn220

Nov 1, 2004
Thanks alot for the replies. I wanted to ask to be safe. It's been very simple to get the things I need for the project but I've been short on time lately. As soon as I get it welded on I'll post some pics. The stand is already on the bike but I realized that the lower chain roller isn't made heavy enough to support the weight of the bike and its setting farther in under the bike than the stand was designed for so it puts more pressure on the bolt that holds it. All I'm having to do to correct the problem is weld a small bracket on near the foot peg to help brace it. The stand is at a perfect spot and hight and the bike doesn't lean over as for as with the stocker but my stock stand has been been bent badly too..Thanks guys...I'll post pics soon...tn220

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom