WER and KX forks quick Question

Domenic

Mar 22, 2003
Have a 2003 KDX 200 with 2001 KX 125 forks..Going to order a WER steering damper from Rockymountain...Do I use a KDX or KX kit? Thanks

dixie

Feb 22, 2003
KDX kit I have 94 KX forks every thing mounts the same, the top clamp mount on the steering neck , bottom plate of damper mounts on the underside of the bottom tree were the fender mounts up. Call WER at 908-637-6385 They will hook you up . Good luck.

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
My 2000 KDX came with a WER damper. I LOVE that thing! I just had a crash and had to re-build it and WER was awesome the whole time. They shipped the kit right out to me, helped me try and rebuild it over the phone a couple times, and then only charged me $7 to check it out and bleed it correctly for me when I could not get it right. They have been awesome. I highly recommend them. As mentioned above, call them and talk to Ben...they will take care of you. :aj:

Domenic

Mar 22, 2003

Now why did it require rebuilding after a crash? I have always ran a Scott's Damper..never had to rebuild it, even after numerous crashes..maybe I need to save a little more money up and stay with Scotts :think:

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
Sorry, I should have clarified. My bike is a 2000 KDX 200, and the person who had the bike originally put the WER damper on when it was brand new. So, the unit was over 5 years old and was right on the verge on needing to be re-built anyway. I had a crash and the bars hit the ground VERY hard. This was basically the nail in the coffin for the damper. It still worked but had very little damping force. A damper is essentially just like a shock and uses valves and fluid to dampen. Any damper will wear out over time and either need to be rebuilt or replaced. I think it is awesome that this unit lasted 5 years and then was only $75 to rebuild. The Scotts damper is awesome, don't get me wrong. My dad has one on his DRZ 400 and my brother just ordered one for his KTM 250 EXC. I have ridden the DRZ with the Scotts, and I honestly don't see it working much better than the WER. Tough to tell though since the DRZ is a totally different bike than my KDX. To me, the price difference doesn't justify the Scotts unit. Can the Scotts unit be rebuilt? I have heard from a lot of people that any unit will mess up if you have a bad crash with the bars involved. You will LOVE either unit. Any damper makes the bike SO much better and safer!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…