KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Just wondering if you are still using the WER? Im now in the market for one and have read all the pros and cons of the Scotts. Im leaning towards the WER for ease of fitment. Have you got any more info on the possibility of a fender mount for the Scotts? Would you consider the WER as being a more practical choice dollars and ease of fitment wise? Sorry CC if these ?'s dont make sense but Ive been reading for over two hours on WER / Scotts reviews and my only good eye is in bad need of rest....

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
I'm not CC, but I have a WER- been running it for 2 years. It's great. It's totally non-noticeable when riding and the only times I notice it are when I smack the edge of a rock and notice that I didn't crash. I rode my KDX for a year before I put the WER on, and I really notice a difference when riding in sand or in small golf-ball sized rocks. With the WER, you can just plow right on thru. I went with the WER over the Scotts because of the placement (down lower and no handlebar mods), easier rebuilding, and the different damping capabiliites.

viper77

Jun 27, 2001
KAY DEE EXER,
I'm in the same boat, I thought I had decided on the Scott's or GPR, but here's another post saying (some of the same things I've read about stress on the bars, etc.) saying go with WER. I guess I'm just looking for the best bang for the buck.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Since CC must be out on the trail, I'll pipe in too. I've had both, the WER and the Scotts. I can't tell the difference except that the Scotts has more "headroom" for adjustment. I can crank that thing down so it's really a work out just to turn the bars left or right, not that you would ride that way anyway.
I sold my WER to Wibby maybe he could provide you an evaluation on buying a used one?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yes, I'm still using the WER.

Last I checked Scotts still did not have the fender mount for a KDX.

So? Make one! No, I haven't, but it can't be that hard. One sweep adjuster wouldn't be too handy on the Scotts that way, but I doubt you would use it much anyway.

I've ridden with both and I prefer the Scotts. As skipro said, there is more headroom for adjustment with the Scotts......you can make it WAY the heck too tight. Not the WER. I run mine full tilt most of the time, and (as you may have read with your one good eye) I'm running 15W oil in it to boot.

Yeah yeah...al the pros run 5W. I'm real happy for them.

I rode an EX/C 200 with a Scotts for awhile. The damper was cranked much farther down than 'the rules' say. You could feel it without any doubt. It also worked as you would expect.

On the other hand, when the Scotts owner follows my on my KDX (with the WER), he says, 'Your damnper isn't doing a damn thing.'

He's right.

When I finally get around to upgrading to a REAL (sorry folks) damper, I'll likely incorporate parts of the WER mount with the Scotts unit.

Oh..here's another bugger you probably read about...seems that most WERs do NOT have the same damping force side-to-side. Some have returned their units to WER for rebuilding because of that. They came back the same way.

WERs point of view? 'Some cables must be in the way.'

Yeah. That's it. With the WER in a vise on the workbench I took extra care to stick some cables right smack dab in the way.

Yes I did!!

.........:(

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Like Skipro, I've had both WER and Scotts. They both work great, IMO. I give a slight preference to the superior 'on the fly' adjustment of the Scotts, but you lose that if you mount to your fender. FWIW, I usually only make adjustments on trails I know - tighten it down for high speed whoops, loosen it up for tight but smooth single track. Otherwise, I find a happy medium setting for the damper. After having dampers on all my bikes for the last 9 years, they still amaze me with how effective they are. If I trade bikes with someone without a damper, I miss the damper big time.

I noticed on the stand that my WER was stiffer going to one side than the other, but could never notice it on the trail. You really can't judge a damper's effectiveness by what it does with the bike on the stand. No matter how hard you wrench the bars with your hands with the bike parked, you cannot duplicate the force of hitting a root or rock at an angle while going 30 mph.

There are 3 things every offroad bike needs: Good jetting, suspension dialed in for the rider, and a steering damper. Dampers are the best thing since sliced bread. Doesn't matter which one you get, just get one!

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Butterman Tool & Engineering, out of Rio Rancho, NM, produces and sells a fender mount for the scotts damper. His phone number is (505)891-2758. Ask for Johnathan Butterman. Tell him some desert spode sent you. :laugh:

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Here's another view..........The Scotts is just too darn expensive so I went with the WER. Worked perfectly and made my KDX a whole different ride. After a year or so I started getting frustrated. I suppose my bushing was wearing out because I was getting hardly any dampening. And WER wanted me to send it in for a rebuild. Yeah another $100.........thats nuts they don't last any longer than that. I started shopping for a Scotts or GPR but just couldn't seem to bring myself to spend the $$. So just on a whim and totally against WER's recommendations I changed the oil with some hydraulic jack oil. I don't know the weight.............maybe 20 or so. Walla...........works perfect now. I'm sure my bushing is going bad but I now have a wide array of adjustment. Brought it back to new condition. I know I know..........its just a bandaid but I think it may even work better with this thick stuff in there. After riding with one a few years now I kinda agree with WER's philosophy that less is more. I can crank mine down a little too much and its very hard and tiring to ride. So why in the heck would I want one that allowed for super stiff settings. I've seen others ride with there's like this and I don't know how they do it. Its very noticeable to me in the tight stuff. The Scotts would be great with dual high and low speed adjustments if it works as promised. Bang for buck get the WER.....it simply works. The quick wear of this bushing is the only downside for the WER. Rebuild cost is too much. So until mine totally wears out I'm totally happy with it and wouldn't have anything else. No matter which one.............get one..............it will make your riding confidence soar.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
skipro3 said:
I've had both, the WER and the Scotts.

SkiPro3, didn't you end up with a street cycle Scotts dampener? But it turned out to be okay with an oil change and different damper settings?

-Maurice

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I have had both, Scotts and WER. I run the WER on my KDX, and plan to stick with it. I prefer the fender mount. Sent mine back once for a rebuild (new shaft and bushings) I think it was about 75 bucks. That was 2 years ago. No problem with it since.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Your right Morie. I gave Scotts a call once I realized I bought the steet version off e b a y and they told me the differences are:
dampens in both directions /away and towards center whereas the offroad version dampens only away from center. No affect coming back to center.
A little larger orafice so instead of 8 clicks out, use 12 clicks.
Dampening range (dampening affect goes away "X" number of degrees away from center) is opposite of the offroad version. However, I used the middle position anyway, so it didn't matter.
Depending on vintage of the street scotts, the high speed dampening may need more cranking than the off road version. The one I got was a vintage that is the same as the offroad version.
Final analysis: Everything adjusts the same for my Scotts except crank 12 instead of 8 on slow speed dampening. It works!
Of course, they told me I could send it back to them and they would set it up with the offroad guts but that would cost money and I don;t think it would get me anything better.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom