Whadda you think?

danjerman

Aug 15, 2000
For the past month I have been in the process of rebuilding my dirtbike, a 91' KX250. I just split the cases and have to re-tap the threads for the drain plug, ut last night I came up with an idea. Instead of re-tapping for just a bigger standard or metirc thread, couldn't I buy one of those FRAM trick looking oil change systems, the ones that you screw in to your drain hole permanently and use a special hose attachment to drain your oil, and use that. I figured this would be a great idea because I wouldn't have to take the drain bolt out every time and risk screwing up the threads again. I already have one in use on my Ford Ranger, and it works slick. However, do you think it would have any weaknesses used in a dirt bike. I have a skid plate to protect it since it sticks out a little more than a bolt would, but please, share your thoughts on this.

Here's the link http://www.autobarn.net/frasdseries.html[url/]

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Whilst it looks like a good idea i would think removing the dust cover and then attaching a hose takes almost as long as removing the nut-i would be concerned about it catching on something as like you said it does hang down a bit.Its a neat idea but im not sure its going to work in a mx enviroment.

danjerman

Aug 15, 2000
Well its not so much the time issue, but rather removng and installing the plug time after time and risking stripping the threads again. The hose also cuts down greatly on the mess involoved with changing the oil

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Do you run a skidplate? That would seem to protect it if it does hang down a bit not to mention how much easier oil changes would be with that tube though the hole on the plate.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
With a skid plate, i would be willing to give it a try-without is asking for trouble.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…