Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Fes up ... What are you reading? :)

I have been thinking a LONG time about starting a thread like this.

Tell us what you have beside the toilet, what is on the nightstand, next to the K uhhh ... nevermind :laugh:

I'll go first with the latest book I just finished ...
Freakonomics - A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner.

I am in the middle of The People's Guide to Mexico by Carl Franz, which is a great education for my upcoming motorcycle journey to Mexico in January.

and I am surfing Campmor's Fall 2006 Catalog for bargains for the Mexico trip.

For the record, Fine Homebuilding's Houses, Annual Issue - The 25 Most important houses in America resides next to my toilet ...

What are you reading and what attracted it to you?

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
I just finished Thumbellina with my 4 and 2 yr olds,not to mention the countless other bed time stories, do those count?

I've got Freakanomics,its next on the list. Also pending: Good to Great by Jim Collins. Most of my reading tends to revolve around social/political issues or leadership and management philosophies.

Recently finished in the last couple of months (been in a liberal loathing phase lately :laugh: ):

Intellectual Morons: How ideology makes smart people fall for stupid ideas by Daniel J Flynn. Awesome read. Highly recommended by Sowell so I expected it to be good. Really shows how a highly educated and well respected (by some :p ) bunch of leftists have been hoodwinked by some dumb ideas and outright lies. Actually pretty much read most of it twice, its that good.

Do As I Say Not As I Do: Profiles in Liberal Hypocrosy by Peter Schweizer. Similar to above but a much quicker read and about more recent public/political figures.

Condi VS Hillary by Dick Morris. Pretty much speaks for itself. Go Condi!!!!!!!!

And just to mix in a little something different: I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell by Tucker Max. I don't believe half of it but its pretty funny.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
evenslower said:
I just finished Thumbellina with my 4 and 2 yr olds,not to mention the countless other bed time stories, do those count?

John, of course they count. Your girls are our future. Bless them and keep them. Give all your "girls" a hug for me.

evenslower said:
Also pending: Good to Great by Jim Collins. Most of my reading tends to revolve around social/political issues or leadership and management philosophies.

You will love Good to Great! It is one of the most uplifting books I have had the pleasure of reading.

evenslower said:
And just to mix in a little something different: I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell by Tucker Max. I don't believe half of it but its pretty funny.

Which half? ... that they don't serve beer or there isn't hell. :p

One of the most influential books I have ever read is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Many of her books are very good, but this one knocks it out of the park.

If you want to understand "my" generation, check out The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe about Ken Kesey (author of Sometimes a Great Notion and better known One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest). All three books are great reads.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
Dale Carnegie lifetime plan for success- great book but if i have to remember to always be doing all the things in their ill never be successful :laugh:

the complete idiots guide to starting your own business- nothing in it that wouldnt be common sense

Ted Nugent God guns and rock -n- roll- Ted kicks arse and some things about him will surprise ya. read the whole thing in a weekend :nod:

been in the progress of reading the N.E.C. 2002 for 5 years - hate that book, means im at work :boss:

fun fact : Ted went to Thurston H.S. in Redford, Mi. with my parents, my dad wrote the bass track to "journey to the center of your mind" while in the Amboy Dukes :cool: he was separated from the band by Vietnam

also , my first girlfriends father whooped Teds arse in H.S.

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I am Legend -- Richard Matheson. The inspiration for the film "The Omega Man", just finished it. Kinda fun to see what people thought the future would be like back in the 50's.

Debt of Honor -- Tom Clancy (for the fourth or fifth time)

Emergency Care, 10th Edition -- Limmer, O'Keefe, & Dickinson. Gotta read it for my EMT-Basic class. Hopefully I'll pass and be making ambulance runs come January.

2006 Big Game Seasons -- Idaho Fish & Game. Hey, gotta see what changes have been made since last year.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
How to cure your Horse' bad habits. I don't stick around it there very long, it kinda stinks soon after I arrive.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
evenslower said:
Intellectual Morons: How ideology makes smart people fall for stupid ideas by Daniel J Flynn. Awesome read. Highly recommended by Sowell so I expected it to be good. Really shows how a highly educated and well respected (by some :p ) bunch of leftists have been hoodwinked by some dumb ideas and outright lies. Actually pretty much read most of it twice, its that good.

I am going to add this to my soon list.

I picked up

1776- by David McCullough
The Fellowship - The Untold Story of Frank Lloyd Wright and the Taliesin Fellowship by Roger Friedland and Harold Zellman

On deck is

The Federalist Papers by Alexander Hamilton, James Madison and John Jay.

I figured, with all the twisted rhetoric out there, that going back to see what the founders had to say would be a great idea.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
XRpredator said:
Debt of Honor -- Tom Clancy (for the fourth or fifth time)

Talk to me, what is it about? Any book that can be read four or five times is bound to be good.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Hmmm . . . hopefully I can give a synopsis without spoiling it . . .

It is a continuation of the "Jack Ryan" series. In this installment, Ryan has become the National Security Advisor when the Japanese government (controlled by a group of corporate tycoons, called the Zaibatsu) goes to war with the United States. Plenty of twists and turns, and if you have familiarized yourself with the "Ryanverse" by reading the rest of the Clancy novels leading up to it, there are some cool connections.

I may be the wrong guy, though, as I am not only a voracious reader, I'm a voracious re-reader of most all the books in my library. Why buy 'em if you're only gonna read 'em once?

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
XRpredator said:
I may be the wrong guy, though, as I am not only a voracious reader, I'm a voracious re-reader of most all the books in my library. Why buy 'em if you're only gonna read 'em once?

Thanks!!

I ditto your comments about re-reading books. I always manage to find some tidbit I missed on previous reads.

Have you read any James Clavell books? Shogun is perhaps his most famous.

Read in chronological order rather that order of publication, they are a fantastic look into events in the far east. It amazes me to find references to characters in books that are developed in other books written at other points of time. Clearly James Clavell had a very complete outline before getting too far into the series. King Rat (WWII POW Camp story) has references to characters not fleshed out until many books later. The names barely make sense on first reading, but blossom profusely when the bigger picture is understood.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Well, haven't been reading much over the summer. I read one book which I have been waiting for; Phantom by Terry Goodkind. This was book 10 out of 11.

I did acquire these;
The Fountainhead by, Ayn Rand. Atlas Shrugged was such I good book I figured I’d give this one a read.

The Da Vinci Code, by Dan Brown. I heard the book was a good and wanted to read it before seeing the movie.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Recent reading, what's on my night stand?

Soul of a Butterfly (Mohammad and Hana Yasmeen Ali)………found it on the bargain table at B&N........brings back memories

Life of Pi (Yann Martel)……..my darling daughter insisted that I read it

Ordinary Wolves (Seth Kantner)……….excellent………modern day Jack London

The Last Run (Todd Lewan)………….a real nail biter

The Tender Bar (JR Moehringer)……….neat story

Monkey Butt (Rick Seiman)……….what can I say?

In addition:

Anything by Pat McManus

All issues of Outdoor Life, Runner’s World, and Dirt Bike/Rider

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
I don't tend to read about politics - but here's what I'm reading now!

Reading for Pleasure:

Everything's Eventual : Stephen King. I have always been a HUGE Stephen King fan - so I bought this book based on that. It's okay, definitely not his best work however.

Glamour Magazine : Yeah I know it's not a book - but it's one of the better magazines geared toward us womenfolk.

Reading for Education:

For those of you that don't know - I'm pursuing my Associates Degree in Business Management with a specialization in Accounting...that's why I'm reading these books!

Financial & Managerial Accounting : It's very interesting :rotfl: but I can't become an accountant without it!

Understanding Management : This book is actually very interesting - it gives a great perspective of management from the late 19th century up to today.

And on Saturdays and Sundays I read the Providence Journal Bulletin.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
squeaky said:
Understanding Management : This book is actually very interesting - it gives a great perspective of management from the late 19th century up to today.

AND, that book would certainly relate well to this particular DRN forum. :nod:

Hardball Politics..........Understanding Management :coocoo: What could those two subjects possibly have in common?

:rotfl:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
BadgerMan said:
AND, that book would certainly relate well to this particular DRN forum. :nod:

Hardball Politics..........Understanding Management :coocoo: What could those two subjects possibly have in common?

:rotfl:

Squeaky is gettin ejumucated ... notin' rong wit dat! :nener:

I am taking Spanish I at the moment ... talk about oblique ... I feel really dumb.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Tony Eeds said:
The Federalist Papers by Alexander Hamilton, James Madison and John Jay.

How about The Anti-Federalist Papers as well so you can get a view of both sides of the arguments that formed the country. Same issues, different perspective.

One link to them. . .

http://odur.let.rug.nl/~usa/D/1776-1800/federalist/antixx.htm

Personally, since I read all day at work, most of the pleasure reading I get to do are magazines (Dirt Rider, ESPN) or on the net checking the news, etc. . .

Recent book reading has included sections from James Bovard (Terrorism & Tyranny), Robert Baer (See No Evil), Philip K. Dick (Collections)

Favorite authors - C.S. Lewis, Tolkien, Goodkind, Murray Rothbard, Tom DiLorenzo.

Last edited:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Rob: The Anti-Federalist Papers are on my list.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I got detoured into State of Emergency by Pat Buchanan.

If he is only 25% right on his projections, the American culture is going to be a quaint historical discussion soon.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Thanks Capt Jack! Good links

I am currently digging into America Alone by Mark Steyn.

All I can say is wow ... great book although somewhat doomsday in its' predictions.

Check it out.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
evenslower[B said:
Do As I Say Not As I Do: Profiles in Liberal Hypocrosy[/B] by Peter Schweizer. Similar to above but a much quicker read and about more recent public/political figures.

I read this last year.. Very good read.

I am getting ready to pick up a new one by one of my favorite writers, Tim Dorsey (www.timdorsey.com).

If you know who Carl Hiaasen is, Dorsey has a very similar style. It's psychotic humor. Very funny stuff, but a butt load of killin.

And if you choose to take my advice, make sure you check out his website and find out the proper order to read his books in. He wrote one of them out of sequence.

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
Near the throne;

Gunns and Ammo

Peterson's Hunting

The Levvitt Letter (Newsletter, w/ Christian perspective of news and events in Israel/Middleeast)

On the nightstand, the bible

Past fav's, Stephen King and Dean Koontz

Favorite book of all time, "I Ask for the Nations",
by Ruth Ward Heflin

Last read, "High and Lifted Up",
by Jane Lowder

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
Currently reading "Why We Want You To Be Rich"

by:
Donald J. Trump and Robert Kiyosaki

A very revealing book concerning the finances of our country and the likely affects on american society.

Last edited:
Top Bottom