88KDX200

Aug 27, 2006
I put this in another forum and then found this one and realized this forum would probably help me out more. I've tryed searching and have found a few opinions on the bikes put not many. I am looking to trade my 01 ttr225 for an 88 kdx200 in MINT condition. My uncle got a deal that he couldnt pass up and now wants a play bike for his son, and my 225 seems to fit him well. I'm 19 and 6'1 and 190 and have out grown the 225 and i'm in the market for a new bike. I've heard alot of good things about the KDX200's but i notice most of them are liquid cooled and the 88 is air cooled. Is this a draw back? The big debate is that my uncle is willing to trade me either the KDX200 or a 95 XR250 that is also in quite nice condition. I haven't rode the XR but the powerband on the KDX seems very fun and powerful. Which bike would you guys go with, and would you have any doubts going with the 88 KDX for any reason? Thanks!

28marcb

Mar 28, 2006
THe only disadvantage of an air cooled motor is that it doesn't dissapate heat as efficiently as a water cooled motor. At the end of a hard ride you may suffer a little more horsepower loss than the watercooled counterpart. The advantage is a much more simplistic design that lessens the chance event of a failure. IMHO, the kdx would me much more fun than an xr, but you will probably have to address the lackluster suspension. Easy enough though, as a lot of kdxers have bolted kx front ends on their steeds with very pleasant results. Just do the search thing and good luck.

88KDX200

Aug 27, 2006
Green Hornet said:
Nothing for nothing, you want to trade a 5 yr. old bike for an 18 yr. old bike. IMO I would think you can sell the TTR225, for more than the 88 is worth.

Yes you would think the 225 would be worth more. Its actually a 2000 but still. But actually its harder to sell the 225. Just because it has electric start and no back up kick starter. And its not a very "upgradeable" bike, not in very high demand. I tryed selling it for 1500, 1400 and 1300 and the best offers i got were 1k. And its in good condition. So i figure this extra clean kdx ought to be worth close to a grand, and it suits me alot better.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom