What bike?

xhyphyx

Mar 31, 2007
1) your physical size: 5'1 80lb
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? pretty aggresive, love to kick mud up into the air
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? mx tracks and a little bit of trail/hill climb
4) Do you have any riding experience? a little bit, with a 65cc
5) Do you think you will race ? most likely not
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? most of the time
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? ktm,suzuki, or yamaha preffered 2 stroke
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? yamaha
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? no more than 4000
10) Do you live in California? yes

please help

Jan 3, 2007
I would say a CRF150 might be the ticket. I can not remeber wich bikes fit me when i was 5 foot 1. The CRF150F is great for a begginer looking to get into the sport for a low cost. But if you like the power the KX65 produce then some sort of 80, 85 or mabe even a 65.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
You are too big for a 65, so don't even look there. Since the Yami dealer is the nearest, try a YZ85. Although a big wheel bike might better fit your height.

Jan 3, 2007
Although FruDaddy makes a good point, a TTR125LE might be better for your use and application. But if you liked the 2 stroke power then thena 85 is what you should get.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
FruDaddy said:
You are too big for a 65, so don't even look there. Since the Yami dealer is the nearest, try a YZ85. Although a big wheel bike might better fit your height.
The YZ85 has a seat height of like 34 doesn't it? Wouldn't that like be the same as the bigwheel kx100?

xhyphyx

Mar 31, 2007
i would say a kx100 becasue they are cheap and low matenence. or possiboly an 85. So good luck shlat!

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
150rguy said:
The YZ85 has a seat height of like 34 doesn't it? Wouldn't that like be the same as the bigwheel kx100?
I didn't look up the numbers, but it has the smaller wheels. You can upgrade it to a big wheel through the dealer network though. Of course one of the biggest reason that I am recommending blue is the proximity of the dealership to the OP.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
there is no such thing as a KX100 "Expert or Big Wheel", so dont try to find one like one of the earlier posters suggested. either a YZ85, possibly look into the "Expert" version if he fits it, or the KX100. the KX100 will have a smoother power delivery than the YZ85, so at first, he'll like it more and will be more comfortable, but you have a Yamaha dealer close to you :think: . assuming that, like one of my local dealers, they repair all bike brands, i would get the KX100, especially since he wont be racing, which is what the YZ was built and made for :nod: .

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
OK Kawicam, I think you need to lie down now. In the other post you noted that people don't pay attention to what is typed, and there you go. Nobody said that there was a KX100 Expert, but mention was made of a big wheel KX100. It is a big wheeled bike, and there is no small wheel version. In fact, the 100 is the SuperMini version of the KX85. Kawasaki is one of 2 manufactures that has an exclusive Supermini (well intentionally) KTM is the other with their 105. Before somebody calls foul, the 150R was not intended to be a Supermini, Honda wanted it in the stock 85 classes.
As far as the YZ85 Expert version, Yamaha doesn't actually produce it, you have to buy a YZ85 and then you can buy the parts for the conversion. It is possible to find one that has been converted, but good luck with that.
Oh, and the dealer may repair every brand, but does that dealer stock parts for every brand. If you need a brake lever on race day, can you expect to find one for the KX at your local Yami shop. Probably not, but they can order one through Parts Unlimited or Tucker Rocky, and if your lucky, they are close enough to a warehouse to have it in 2 days.
Sorry dude, you should have left this one alone. :(

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006

i stated that there isnt such thing as an expert or big wheel KX100, and yes, i screwed myself when i mentioned a YZ85 "Expert" :uh: . time was limited since my lunch in the oven was done, but i wanted to finish that post :) . he mentioned that he wasnt going to race, so i didnt assume that he would need the parts immediately and he could call and order them ahead of time.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Like frudaddy said, I meant that the kx100 had bigwheels and not the small wheels.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…