What Bike?

mx guy

Apr 7, 2009
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
I am 5' 11' and weigh about 160
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
pretty aggresive but will get more aggressive with experience
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
I plan to ride mx tracks mostly and do a little trail riding with friends.
4) Do you have any riding experience?
Yes-Been riding 4-wheelers for 5 or six years. And have ridden 125 and 250 2 strokes some. I had a xr 100 4 years ago.
5) Do you think you will race ?
I intend to race more than anything. That is what I want this bike for is to race.
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
I can do simple stuff, but plan to learn how to do everything.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
No prefernce I have never ridden a mx 4 stroke.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Yes I have a dealer close by that carries the big four. Then a ktm dealer to.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
not sure yet I finish school and start work in may
10) Do you live in California?
NO!!!!!
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I have been riding for 5 or six years. I have ridden a couple of 250 2 strokes a couple of years ago. I have also just ridden a couple of 125 2 strokes and didn't feel like their was enough power. I want a bike that will be the best to get into mx racing with.
Thanks.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
A 250 two stroke would probably be your best bet. A 450 four stroke would also be good but I suspect your budget won't support it for a while.

With a 250 two stroke you can pretty much pick your favorite color, all the major brands are suitable. Buy used for sure, but then as recent a model as you can afford although I would buy an older well maintained bike over a newer neglected bike.

Make sure you leave room in the budget for all the proper safety gear. If you have been riding quads I would assume you have a helmet and goggles. Make sure you have boots and chest protector. I would also highly recommend knee and elbow guards.

Rod

mx guy

Apr 7, 2009
Thanks for the help I was thinking about going with a 250 2 stroke then in a year or two buy a 450. I just wasn't sure if a 250f would be something to look into.

CReighty

Uhhh...
Apr 4, 2009
On a budget i'd go with a 2 stroke. There are just so many high maintenance horror stories out there with the 4 stroke racing models that i'd be afraid to own one.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
If you can afford to maintain a 250f they are great bikes. Especially for racing. They are designed for someone like you, under 6 foot around 160lbs. You may find a 250 2t a bit of a handful while you build skill.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…