cladoo

Jul 26, 2000
What brake fluid should I be using? My manual('96KTM300EXC) says to useDOT 5.1 but, on the master cylinder it says to useDOT 3:5. What gives?

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Thats weird. You really need to figure out somehow whats in there because you don't want to mix Dot 5.0 with anything else.

<Edit>

If it was me and I couldn't figure out what it was really supposed to have, I would empty it out, flush it really good and go with Dot 4.

Last edited:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
DOT 5.1 fluids WILL mix with DOT 3 and Dot 4. It it DOT 5.0 that is silicon based and will not mix.

An excellent brake fluid with a high boiling temp that is compatible with Dot 3, 4 and 5.1 fluids is Motul 600.

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
on the master cylinder it says to useDOT 3:5

What the Q&A article on the Bel-Ray site says is kinda confusing, but this is what they mean:

If your brakes are Brembo (european, pretty sure KTM's still use brembo), then when the master cylinder say," use Dot 3:5" (3 thru 5), that means 3,4 and 5.1.
In Europe, American "Dot 5" (silicon) is not recognized, so they refer to Dot 5.1 as Dot 5 for short.
Your manual is specially printed for the US version of the bike so it specifies Dot 5.1. The bike parts are universal though, and are printed international style.
Hope this helps!

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Doh! My bad, 5.0/5.1
DBD is correct on the 5.0/5.1 thing in that they are listed as compatible but I don't know of many people or manufacturers that actually suggest mixing them. Most manufacturers don't even recommend mixing different brands of the same rating. Could be to sell more fluid but its cheap and easy to drain, flush, put in fluid from a new sealed container and then bleed them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom