robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
oldguy said:
Everyday I see more and more posts of this type
I am X years old and want a dirtbike what do you think I should look for?
As glad as I am that you value forum members opinions I wish you would include more info so they can give you an opinion instead of putting up this answer We need more info to help

Try to include the following info in your first post
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
4) Do you have any riding experience?
5) Do you think you will race ?
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

This info won't guarentee a perfect bike choice but it will sure stear the answers you get closer to the ideal bike.

Do this first . . .

For your weight, either would work.

For your height, I'd probably look towards the 100.

I'm shorter than you and ride a 125 (although I weight a bit more . . ).

kawi 85 378

Apr 15, 2006
k im sorry

ok sorry
im 14 yrs old 5"5 and 106 pounds
pretty soild i ride bmx
i plan to ride with freinds in woods felds and later when i get better mx
ive riddin a yz 80 and a suzuki 110
my dad will help with mechanics
i prefer a kawasaki and a 2 stroke
i have dealers for every type of sirt bike pretty much and i want some thing like brand new or from 05
the only thing is that i really dont have much riding exsperence and my buddys want to get the 85 because all they say is that i will kill my self on the 100 so i really need advice
hope this helps

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Other than the size of the tires and the length of the swingarm the difference between the KX85 and KX100 is negligible. One is not going to keep you any safer than the other.

kawi 85 378

Apr 15, 2006
k my bad wrong way of putting it what i ment to say is would it be easyer to buy the kx100 and tone it down to the power of a kx 85 then when i get more exsperenced tone it back up or get a kx 85 and when i get better just put performance parts on it?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Ok one more analogy to see if I can make this any clearer for you. You are buying a new helmet you have two choices, both offer the same level of protection. The first helmet is too small for you but you could squeeze it onto your head, it weighs 2.1 pounds. The second helmet fits you perfectly but weighs 2.101 pounds. Your friends are telling you to buy the first helmet because it is .001 of a pound lighter. Which helmet do you buy?

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
I just put my 9 year old son on a kx 80 that's very peppy,He seams to like it good and is really handling it well also. My vote goes for the kx100, It's Got to have a little stronger hit that a 85 and is a little taller(so you can grow in to it!!

kawi 85 378

Apr 15, 2006
can anyone tell me if the kawasaki models above the kx65 get very wide compaired to yamaha and i was wondering about the new models also

kawicam125

Uhhh...
Mar 14, 2006
the new kx100 would be a pretty good bike for you. although, im 5'4'' riding a kx125, you could move to the smaller bunch of 125's, but this will be your first bike, so id look at the kx100. go to cycletrader.com and search for slightly used kx100's, you can get some for a really good price.

ben812

May 10, 2006
Hi,

It just so happens I ride/race these two bikes. I personally am 5'3" and a 125 is too much for me to handle, as where the 100 is perfect, and the 85 is small. Power wise, the difference between the two is noticable but not signigant, and believe mme, if you are going to die on either one of them, youre not more likeley to crash on the 100 than on the 85. When I ride i usually take my 100 out because I have more fun with it and the powerband is much better mid-range wise than the 85. The 100 is a better bike for you now. By the way, I am sponsored by a Kawi dealership and that is the only reason I have a KX85, because a YZ85 is SIGNIFIGANTLY better than any other 85. I just remembered a bike that would be best for you, a KTM 105 SX, which is between a KX 100 and a 125 and that sounds just right, so be sure to check that out too.

Hope this helps,

Ben

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
kawi 85 378 said:
k my bad wrong way of putting it what i ment to say is would it be easyer to buy the kx100 and tone it down to the power of a kx 85 then when i get more exsperenced tone it back up or get a kx 85 and when i get better just put performance parts on it?

Theres not really that much diff between the 2. It's not like your comparing a 125 to a 250 2 stroke.

It will be a little faster because you'll have more low end but your really only adding 15cc's and upping the suspension. You will understand once you ride one.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom