what does disconecting the power valve do

deadwaterj

Sep 14, 2002
ok, some one wrote that if u disconect the powervalve externaly on a kx 250 it rides like a kdx 250, please explain this to me.

:aj:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You will loose your top end power. Low end will be the same as it was before disconnecting it.

Stew312

Jul 8, 2002
The valve will not be able to close & restrict backflow from the exhaust pipe under higher rpm's, which will greatly reduce your top-end power.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
If you disconnect the power valve you have a very high risk of overheating the piston crown and/or running into a serious detonation issue. There will be too much cylinder pressure for high rpm, high load situations. This isn't a good idea.

Last edited:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by Stew312
The valve will not be able to close & restrict backflow from the exhaust pipe under higher rpm's, which will greatly reduce your top-end power.
:think: Ya got that backwards. The PV opens at high RPMs to raise the exhaust port and to allow for better exhaust flow out the port.

BTW, Is anyone actually planning on disconnecting the PV? Why?

Stew312

Jul 8, 2002
Are you positive? When was the last time you tore down the engine on your RM?? Notice how when you set the left side pre-load spring you turn it counter-clockwise? That puts pressure on the valves to open, which causes them to stay that way unless acted upon by the actuator arm, which closes them under higher RPM's. Unless my brain just died on me, I'm pretty sure thats the way it works.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
When the motor hits a certain rpm the governor arm(kx anyway) pulls the whole rack open, including the exhaust flap which would go up or open position.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by Stew312
wait, maybe I'm thinking backwards...

my brain hurts.
That will happen when you try to think backwards :eek:

I figured if I just let you ramble on you'd get it right :)

Stew312

Jul 8, 2002
Well to continue my rambling, I just realized that my hard starting (have to lie the bike on its side so it floods, even after its been running!!), terrible idle, plug fouling, etc may be due to the fact that I pre-loaded my exhaust valves to stick open, cause by me reading dissasembly of preload spring during my assembly resulting in a counter-clockwise turn, instead of the appropriate clockwise turn. Looks like someone has some work to do before this weekend. Can we say, ooooppssss. :scream:

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Good thing someone was thinking about disabling their PV. :)

Stew312

Jul 8, 2002
Yeah, seriously.. Well now let me say from experience, having a disabled PV is NOT the way to go!!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
definately not the way to go:( This weekend we took the kids CR125 up to Eric G for some tinkering. After doing the topend and some head work he noticed the power valve wasn't closed. Turned out during a clutch rerbuild last spring the mechanic didn't retime the PV and it didn't close up. Thekid was new to a 125 from his YZ85 and really didn't realize the bike lacked lowend. As the season progressed we went to Eric to get more bottom thus the discovery. Thekid couldn't believe the pull his bike has now. Figure the PV now works, a fresh topend, and Eric Gorr's magic :) the bike never stops pulling.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
"what does disconecting the power valve do?"

Ask Gomer.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Hey Gomer! What does diconnecting the PV do ???:p (Mikey told me to ask :debil:)

Stew312

Jul 8, 2002
hey old guy, the bike act wierd in any other way with no PV other than no low end (fouling plugs, hard starting, etc)??

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by MikeT
"what does disconecting the power valve do?"
Ask Gomer.

I think he only knows what happens when you put it in upside down.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by James

I think he only knows what happens when you put it in upside down.
:) :)

RJH

Jun 15, 2002
With the valve fully open (up) top end will stay the same - you will notice some mid range loss. In shifter karts, the valve is to be locked open. We have had no abnormal engine problems. The YZ125 revs easy to 13700 with a shifter pipe and makes HP up to 12250. As does the Honda and others. Bob Hogg

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Shifter carts are alway in the top end so PVs are somewhat useless. That's whay they run them opened. Dirtbikes need a much broader power range and the PV gives it that.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…