jmcollins77

Jul 25, 2010
Aftermarket reed Valves, do they work?

I have a KDX 200 and a YZ 250, kinda new to the 2 stroke family but love the power. Both are pretty much stock bikes and was just wandering about aftermarket reeds. Ive seen the boyensen and v-force reed valves and they claim an instant 5% more on Power. How can installing a simple set of reeds do this? The engine isnt getting anymore fuel unless carbs are re-jetted or downstream flow isnt any better without an aftermarket pipe/silencer. Is this a claim that should be 5% more power (after you get some more stuff like jets/pipes) or is it the truth?

Last edited:

OriginalRider

Nov 23, 2008
I have a 88 cr250 with the vforce reeds.If i was you i would buy the boyesen rad valve.Jetting if very tricking with the vforces.I doubt you will see very much power difference with a stock pipe and air filter.I have the following mods.twin air filter,fmf gold series,vforce 3,hot rod crank,wiesco piston.main jet is at 178 and the pilot jet is at 55 this thing is nasty.But then again im only 140 pounds.I can slam it in 5th and it will pop right up

FatBiker

Apr 3, 2010
Just out of curiosity, what does the pipe do to make the reeds work/work better? Does the pipe improve scavenging thus affecting the reeds somehow? I'm guessing the "charge" has to move through the reeds/case/ports faster to get the free supercharging effect? Just a guess on my part. I have, according to my Son in law, Boyenson (sp?) reeds in my old RM 250 but there are no other mods. on the bike, stock pipe etc.. He says it has a killer top end (high RPM). I wouldn't know, it's been a long time since I been on a bike. Would I need a pipe to realize the low RPM gains?

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
FatBiker said:
Just out of curiosity, what does the pipe do to make the reeds work/work better? Does the pipe improve scavenging thus affecting the reeds somehow? I'm guessing the "charge" has to move through the reeds/case/ports faster to get the free supercharging effect?
for some time, near Bottom Dead Center, all the engine is open to atmosfere: exhaust port, inlet port and transfer ports. since the inlet and exhaust creates a series of pulses and inertias, this is everything inerconnected.
does you ever heard that an engine is not a series of parts but a whole? i guess this answers the question of the need of the pipe to gain with the v force.
some engines may respond well to v force others to certain pipes. but ALL have to be optimized at least with carb fine tuning!!!

Last edited:

Top Bottom