What effect does oil have on gas?

sean

Apr 26, 2000
I know that running super rich ratio's like 16:1 on pump gas leads to detonation. Why is this? What effect does adding more oil to your pre-mix have on the gas? Does it lower the octane rating? If so, how? Thanks :yeehaw:
Sean

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by sean
I know that running super rich ratio's like 16:1 on pump gas leads to detonation.

That's not a hard and fast rule. Not all oils will lead to detonation, it depends on their component make up. Some of the lower grade oils can have dillutants (thinners) that are fairly low octane so adding greater volumes tends to lower the overall octane rating of the fuel mix.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Another issue could be that if your bike is jetted close on a mixture that has very little oil in it the mixture is rather thin. If you add significantly more oil to the gas the mixture gets thicker and is harder to flow thru the jets of the carb. In this case your fuel/air mixture is lean from a rich oil/gas mixture.

Although this may seem obvious to some , I am elated :yeehaw: that I could have possibley assisted Rich :worship: ina small manner

I am not :o to admit I am doing :moon: kissing so I am ready for the :flame: But I just love these little emotion things today for some reason

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom