What grip tape to use???

powercart

Mar 29, 2002
Hey all, im thinking of doing my frame with grip take. But im not sure of what to use. Ive been told that sk8 board stuff is too gritty, and i eats ur equiptment. What else is there? Any oppinions?? Thanx

Matt

Sep 23, 2002
i use skateboard grip tape. it does start to tear your pants if u use it on your airbox. but if you only want to use it on your frame it shouldnt be a probem. i also read in a magazine that home depot (sp) sells rubberized grip tape, i was gonna give that a try but never got the chance to get there. hope this helps later

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
the grey rubbery 3M stuff is available from most hardwear stores and is a good way to go

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The hardware store stuff will cost you much more than skateboard grip tape.
I can't imagine putting it on my airbox anyway! LOL...oh well....

I get a boards length for $5.00 I use frame guards on each side so I just take them off and cut out the grip tape in that sillouette, perhaps just a tad bigger so you can fold it back. When it's attached it looks like a trick pro job. It eats the littel nubs off the side of my boots, but no big deal.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I just took mine off and put on clear tape to protect the frame. It tore the threads on my boots on the inside area and messed up the leather portion as well. Just my .02 cents but I won't use it again.
Elk

jet373

Apr 2, 2002
i use the 3m strip stuff its not as rough as the sk8 stuff ...... though i would rather worry about gripping the bike to go fast then worry about ripping up my gear .......

ELSINORE_45

Feb 27, 2002
http://www.stompdesign.com/You may want to try out this stuff. Stomp makes grip pads for snow boards n now they offer grip (pads) thats what they call em ,for motorcycles ,a rubberizied clear sheet that sticks to what ever. Last a long time and grips great ,and no harm to ones riding gear. Thxs. ELSI_45 ride safe

mxcrash

May 19, 2004
Pretty good stuff, I've been using it on my CR and it certainly helps to give the arms a bit of a rest.

I've seen an alternative to Stomp's pad which was black and had crosses on it, it's also supposed to have a better glue, but can't seem to find the web site or any reference to it on the web. anyone know of it

ash

Jul 19, 2004
I would reccomend the stomp stuff. Grip tape is like sand paper, and your pants and boots are like wood. If you want to saw through 200 dollar A-stars, go ahead be my guest. Maybe a pair of 150 dollar thor pants? Stomp stuff is the better option in my opinion.

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Stomp grip is the way to go. I have it on my bike and it works great. Does no damage to your pants or boots.

mxcrash

May 19, 2004
Agreeed.

Found the alternative at http://www.techspec-usa.com/

Hopefully this product will be just as good but stick a bit better I even cut off the the points closest to the edges and it still lifted, hey at least this other stuff is black and I wont see the dirt underneath if it is lifting.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…