Should i buy this non-running 2009 450f?

rpm1128

Jan 12, 2019
Hey guys, i have been offered a 2009 yz450f for an asking price of $800.00 . I know the guy who has it. He got it in trade. He owns a auto salvage yard. I will go to see the bike this week. What ive been told is the engine will turn but it doesnt have compression. I am up for a repair job at that price . I have a garage to use and a decent amount of tools ive used working on cars (not motor rebuilds). I havent owned a dirt bike since the yz125 i had in 2003 when i raced hare scrambles. Be sides that i ride on the road with a triumph speed triple but have only done oil changes and chain maintenance on that. He claims the rest of the bike is in great shape (we'll see). If the rest of the bike checks out, what do you think ? Is there any way i can tell if it is just a top end or if ill be splitting cases to do the bottom? This is a job id be willing to do on weekends for the winter and would like to be out riding when im through, im not looking to flip the bike for any prophet just hoping to get some thing to get back in the dirt on. Any advice would be hugely appreciated ( What to check, what to expect on having to replace besides what i can inspect externally) Thanks guys!

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Kelly Blue book lists this bike at $3,375.00 If you get the prices to rebuild (parts, labor, etc) and it stays below that KBB price I would consider it. "IF" you really want the bike.

Mully

2wheelmaniac

Jul 27, 2022
Kelly Blue book lists this bike at $3,375.00 If you get the prices to rebuild (parts, labor, etc) and it stays below that KBB price I would consider it. "IF" you really want the bike.

Mully
Man that was the worst most useless comment for his question, did you even bother to read it?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Man that was the worst most useless comment for his question, did you even bother to read it?
Is it not reasonable to see if the financials work out in his favor? Would you recommend he buy it if it cost more to fix than just buying a running one?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago

No, I think editorializing on a response to a 3 1/2 year old question brings new meaning to the phrase "useless comment".

Did you bother to read it and check the date genius?

Top Bottom