What is the correct way to start a 2strk dirt bike.

jhuerta

Aug 1, 2006
I’m new the sport I have just got a used Yamaha YZ250 2002. I have not ridden it yet because I had some work done on it. I try to kick start the bike and its hard to do. I’m 5'4'' about 158 so my size is not helping me at all. I was told to kick down and out and I was also told to kick straight down and hold my foot at the bottom. I was able to kick start the bike before but it took me a long time and I ended hurting my ankle because the kicker kick me back. When I kicked it the first time I opened the throttle and then I was told to give it gas as I kick down. I don’t know what to do, could any of you give me some advice. Thanks :bang:

AndyO

Jun 11, 2006
I'm 6'0 and have trouble at times getting some leverage to kick mine over. I would suggest you buy a kickstand. That way you can put down the stand to balance the bike while you get up on the pegs and kick straight down with some leverage.

B

biglou

Cold:
Gas on. Choke on. 2-3 slow, priming kicks (to draw some fuel into the carb/intake tract. Kick it like you mean it.

Warm/Hot: Just kick it.

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
Wear boots! The kick-start lever will put a hurting on you if you slip. Good Luck.

yzwoods

Aug 2, 2006
First off make shure your gas is turned on. Then If its cold pull your choke all the way out and do NOT turn the throttle, Just kick it down hard and smooth. Untill it starts. Then let it warm up. But not to long, When your throttle responds fast shut the choke off. If its warm...Then make shure the choke is off and turn the throttle ALITTLE while you kick it hard down and SMOOTH! hope that helps.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
As a general rule mine starts like this:

Turn on gas, pull out kickstart lever, kick 1 or 2 times while giving it about 1/4 throttle.

If it hasn't been started in more than a week, I MIGHT have to choke it.

I just replaced the ring and it started on the 4th kick after reassembly. :laugh: Needless to say, I can't complain.

Back in the day when I had a CR80, if I couldn't get it to start for whatever reason, I would hold the kill button while kicking it 1 or 2 times and giving it a bit of throttle. Then it would usually start immediately.

This technique has also worked with my dad's CR125, but I've never really needed it with the Zook.

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
Like someone said wear boots.

Saw a guy break his shin bone (Tib Fib?) while trying to kick a bike. It was down at Turkey Bay. He use to frequent this site but I cant remember his name.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
after a week

gas on, choke on
lean bike way to the left til gas comes out overflow
get on bike never touch throttle
kick
let run for 15-30 seconds before touching throttle
rev it 3-5 times
shut off choke

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
hmmm . . . and people complain that there's some big secret way to starting a 4-stroke . . .

I've never gone thru near as much rigamarole as all you guys say when starting a 2-stroke. :whoa:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I run my bike at least every few days...

It starts on the first kick almost every time.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
XRpredator said:
hmmm . . . and people complain that there's some big secret way to starting a 4-stroke . . .

I've never gone thru near as much rigamarole as all you guys say when starting a 2-stroke. :whoa:
once hot theres no secret to starting the 4s it just takes a good old fashioned 100 kicks :boss:

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
A hard, quick, stabbing kick that would go all the way to the ground if the kickstarter didn't hit the peg. Most times I don't rest my foot on the kicker before I kick it. I usually start the kick about 3-4 inches above the lever. Most 2t's would rather have a fast kick(get as much RPM as possible) rather than a complete(all the way through the stroke) kick.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
2 strokes 4 ever! :aj:

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
Turn on gas. Turn on choke. Pull clutch lever in. Push e-start. Ride at will. Oh, you said 2-stroke, nevermind.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Usually, I turn on the gas, pull the choke knob, push the lever down until I feel resistance, the bring it up and give it a good hard kick. No ritual there. Since you are not a tall person, I recommend putting you left foot on some kind of pedestal, or jump straight up and kick on your way back down, sometimes I do this, and my son occasionally has to do it as well.

RM125CCF

Apr 27, 2006
What I usually do to Start my 500 is turn the gas on, then cut the choke on and lean the bike to the right side a little bit. Then I kick it through easily 4-5 times then I find TDC and then in one swift motion kick it down and out all the way through and it should start.

RMZRIDER

Aug 3, 2006
ellandoh said:
once hot theres no secret to starting the 4s it just takes a good old fashioned 100 kicks :boss:

On my rmz when its hot, i can start it 1st or second kick with 1/8 throttle and thats better than alot of 2 strokes

basically you have to find a nitch to starting your bike, every bike i have owned starts different, you will figure out the best way to start it up after some practice :cool:

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
Jetted correctly,

COld: turn on gas, turn on choke and kick. Turn off choke and ride.

Hot: Pick up self, pick up bike, Kick and ride.

Lets see you 4 stroke guys do that one. :nener:

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
Get it started yet?

Heres how I start mine and I have the exact same bike.

Cold: choke up, DO NOT TOUCH THROTTLE, kick slow one or twice to prime the carb and then kick it like you own it! Should start in 1st or 2nd kick. Let warm up (until throttle response is crisp). Choke off and away you go!

Warm: No choke, BARELY crack the throttle like 1/8 open. Kick the hell out of it and should start 1st 2nd kick. Away you go.

As mentioned before.... (GET SOME BOOTS) or you'll be going through shoes like a hot knife on butter.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
D Lafleur said:
Jetted correctly,

COld: turn on gas, turn on choke and kick. Turn off choke and ride.

Hot: Pick up self, pick up bike, Kick and ride.

Lets see you 4 stroke guys do that one. :nener:

You left out the part about not kicking more than five times, ever. ;)

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
CHR!S said:
Wow, you guys can really beat the hell out of starting a dirtbike!

we haven't even gotten started on the starting fluid portions yet :boss:

jhuerta

Aug 1, 2006
I have not tried to start the bike sorry guys. I will do it tomorrow for sure because I’m going to go riding in Azusa canyons. Thanks for everyone’s help. It's amazing how many different ways people start the bike. Today I went to go see the X-Games MotoX Freestyle so I’m pump and can’t wait to hit the throttle. I’m going to get up early clean my bike go to softball game and then go riding. Sounds like it’s going to be a good day for me. Thanks again guys. I think I need to correct the timing on it though but that will need to wait. :cool:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…