What is the proper gearing with the front and rear sprockets for the kdx?

tomcat

Dec 2, 2002
I have the gearing set at 14-45 on my 91modle kdx 200, is this good for trail riding what would be the best overall set up for trail riding, sneaking throught the bushes and for jumping as I do all of that????????

Last edited by a moderator:

cweingartz

Jun 6, 2000
Stock gearing is 13/47 but it seems that most people like 13/50 with a stock engine. If you have some mods that up the performance of the engine, you do not need the extra gearing and you can run the 13/47 with pretty good results. This will give you a top speed around 70-75mph and still have decent gearing for the woods. If you are not going to go fast I would reccomend the 13/50 because it gives you a nice low first gear to use in super technical sections. The best way to find a good setup for you is to just try different ones until you find one you like. Also just a little word of advice, it would be nice if you did not use 13 question marks when only one is necessary. It is kind of like typing in all caps, it seems as if you are yelling. Good luck with your bike.

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
The 89-94 KDX came with a stock final gearing of 13-47,going with a larger front and a smaller rear gives you a higher top end speed with loss of some of the low end grunt.I think most riders stay with a 13 front or go to a 12 tooth for more bottom end.Here on the west coast of Canada we have alot of tight trails and the stock gearing works fairly well, 1St-2ND gear stuff while also riding old logging roads in 6TH with no problems.
Hope this helps..

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
What's 'proper' is what works for you.

That said, I'd be HATE'N a 14/45 setup! You gotta be killing your clutch!

If the way it is suits you fine, well....fine. It wouldn't cost much (get one cheap for <$15US) to get a 13T and give it a try. If you like that better, then at least you have a direction to go.

You can change it in about two minutes.

Note..the 13T will be smaller than your 14T. If you're already at the edge of chain adjustment (too long) you may not be able to adjust to the proper tension. Probably good enough to check out the result, though.

btw..I use 12/47. You end up shifting LESS 'cuz you may well find yourself in a higher gear to start with..ie: an uphill that took 2nd you'll do in 3rd. That'll make you FASTER at it, too!!

(oops...too many!!! ;) He's right, though.)

Dazza

Jan 1, 2002
Tomcat,is your bike a F(SR) or a E model?
Just for the record, the two version models have different gearbox ratios.
If you have a F series then you got a nice heavy flywheel.Nice

kdxfreeeek

Sep 18, 2003
hey im runnin a 15/48 and what tell me what you all think 70mph is childs play and i still pick it up in 3rd with the throttle but i think its just cuz i built it lol

write back and tel me what you thin of 15/48

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I think posting to threads over a year old with silliness is irritating.

But it's what one might expect from a 15/48 setter-upper (US bikes).

kdxfreeeek

Sep 18, 2003
:ride: silliness? lol i didnt look how old it was and the 15/48 gearing is nice when you wanna open the bike up it will fly.

Ive dont sum other mods im topin 100+mph but its hard on the clutch in the trail. I WILL ADMIT but hard to notice

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
kdxfreeeek said:
:ride: silliness? lol i didnt look how old it was and the 15/48 gearing is nice when you wanna open the bike up it will fly.

Ive dont sum other mods im topin 100+mph but its hard on the clutch in the trail. I WILL ADMIT but hard to notice

:|

grizzzz2001

Sep 1, 2004
kdx road bike

seams your a not much into trail sounds more like a road bike you wouldnt last 2 second around here with gearing like that

Jason02R

Jul 6, 2004
I noticed a nice improvement on trials with my bike going from a 13-50 to a 12-50, but I have minimal modifications. I really don't see myself going back to a 13T even after a woods pipe and other performance upgrades. I really love how the 12T climbs. Got my speedometer calibrated and the bike will top out just abit over 70mph so I don't think I lost too much top speed

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
I like the 14/50 set-up (close to stock ratio), with a 13T that I can switch out on the trail, or at the truck, if lower ratio is needed.
The auto-clutch eliminates that need, for me, on the trails I ride.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…