What liquid should I clean my air filter with?

YZRide

Dec 15, 2006
My manual states I should clean my airfilter with a Solvent. Is water ok or is there some other kind of liquid that I should use to clean my air filter?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Water and

I've been real happy with No-Toil Products, and thats coming from someone who's been using solvents and gas.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I use Dawn dish soap and water. It works fine. For the most part, I use the Bel Ray oils because they're cheap but get the job done.

breezeair

Feb 8, 2006
I have used No-toil all summer and fall and it has worked great but I think it is more trouble than petro oil. I have tried washing in the sink and in the washer, both methods work great. I think it takes longer than when I used paint thinner in a bucket with a screen in the bottom. When this bottle is gone I'm going back to Bel-Ray.

YZRide

Dec 15, 2006
I plan to take the bike out tommorow. I havn't inspected the filter since I got it about a month ago. I assume the cleaninig proccess requires it to be soaked in the Solution for a long time Like a KNN out of a car??

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I don't soak my knn, I just spray it until it's thoroughly red. On a foam motorcycle filter, I thoroughly soak it and then wring it out.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I usually use PJ1 Super Cleaner in an aerosol can (it works on chains also). Unfortunately I cannot locate it where I am now, so I will be using their Filter Cleaner for a while. The Super Cleaner works well and is rather simple, spray it on, hose it off.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I also like the No-Toil oil. I use Oxyclean to wash the filter instead of the No-Toil cleaner. Works just as well, and I use it to clean my riding stuff too.

Yz250FinAZ

Dec 15, 2003
i just get a bucket, fill it with warm water, some dish soap, and clean it, always worked for me. im thinking about getting some cleaners though...

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…