What mods are the best for a KDX?

Slipknot6

Nov 23, 2002
I own a 1998 KDX 220. It is all stock except for a new rear tire and Boyesen Reeds. For christmas I'm buying a gripper seat cover, twin air filter and some other stuff for it. I ride woods and I want to know what the best mods are for a KDX? What would be better to get if you want more power, A FMF powercore silencer, or a FMF Gnarly pipe?

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Don't mess with buying a silencer unless you just want less weight. It won't increase power. A pipe, however, will really wake your bike up! Have you taken off the airbox lid yet? If not, you should do that, buy an FMF K-30 pipe, and rejet it. You won't even believe its the same bike.

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Suspension, pipe, carb jetting, bars and busters to protect those digits. You can have all the power in the world but if you can't keep it on the trail/track what the use... Unless you weight nothing, you MUST acquire new springs for the front and probably would highly benefit from a revalve job. Hit Dave's JustKDX website for ALL of the basics, it is a great resource! Just my 02.

Enjoy that green machine! :thumb:

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Slipknot6, since I can not PM or email you, I have some new KDX goodies for sale which you have mentioned above, cheap. Could save you some serious bucks, I'm trying to get rid of some extra stuff (mostly brand spanking new) I have collecting dust in the garage. Check out the for sale forum here on DRN, good stuff. :flame:

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
FIX THE SUSPENSION !! This is absolutely the first thing to do. It's actually dangerous to ride a stock KDX --like breaking a horse except the rider ends up being broken. Either install Gold Valves front & rear or get a suspension shop to revalve / respring for you.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
1. Remove airbox lid and rejet

2. Change fork springs to match your weight and balance the suspension. Get rid of that fish oil fork oil.

3. Get an aftermarket Pipe - Pro Circuit or FMF KG30. (BIG pertormance difference, you will like a pipe.!)

4. Get some Enduro Engineering handgards.

5. Get a better front tire.

6. Get a solid bar clamp from FRP.

7. RB Carb mod

8. Revalve the suspension

9. Get new bars when you bend then, I recommend Tag X5's.

10. FMF or PC spark arrestor.

(IMHO - do # 8 before # 7 - but it costs more than twice as much.)

Last edited:

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Fred's list is fairly exhaustive. You may want to consider a steering damper before the RB Carb and silencer. Depending on what your trails look like (rocks & roots?), good suspenders & a damper can be priceless.

Slipknot6

Nov 23, 2002
Where would be the best deal to get a FMF K-30 pipe?? Also on the fork springs how much do you think those will cost?? And i already have a new front tire but the stock one is still good. My trails have a lot of rocks and roots(I live in New England). So i will probably buy the pipe, take off the airbox lid, and buy the fork springs. Any suggestions on where to get them online?

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
If you ride in the rocks don't forget a skid plate. My last race I was climbing over some rocks when I saw it, a puddle of oil sitting on top! Protect your engine, I've already got dings in the bottom of my skid plate. Better then cracking the crankcase.

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
Good advice on the skid plate!!! That was the first thing I did!! You can do it for $25 by getting an aluminum tread plate from Lowes, cutting and bending it to shape and u-bolting it to the frame. It took me about 4 hours to do but saved $50-$60!!! This also protects that valuable pipe!!!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001

Yeah, I forgot about the steering dampner...jeez and I have one too! Good call.

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I second all these guy's comments! You have to decide if you want performance or safety first, or a little of both. Start out slow, buying things that is, and work your way up. Mine is still a work in progress. Some web sites to check for parts are: www.denniskirk.com both offer free shipping on orders over $100(and we know how quick that goes); www.gopartsdirect.com ,there that should help you out.
Good luck.
:yeehaw: :yeehaw: :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Do the suspension first thing. I did it somewhere in the middle and wanted to kick myself for not doing it earlier. As someone mentioned above it is dangerous to push you kdx hard without the right suspension. I was sooo much more comfy with the proper suspension. After that, as mentioned, a pipe, I like the pro circuit. I also had an fmf, but fit and finish the pro circuit wins hands down. Don't forget to chuck the airbox cover. Then take a break, save some money and finish out the list Fred T. provided. Above all do good maint. and ride safe.
Lew

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I'm sure fred overlooking the mototassinari deltaforceII reed cage wasn't intentional...a minor oversight!;)

.....about 3.5 in the list.

He's right about the 8&7, too. You won't believe what you've been missing when your suspension is fixed. What's $700 among friends??

(No...I'm not your 'friend', so don't ask me for $700!!! ;) )

well.....that included springs, and you already did that from the list, so it wouldn't cost THAT much. Maybe summa' those mid-rebound dampers?

Have fun!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by canyncarvr
I'm sure fred overlooking the mototassinari deltaforceII reed cage wasn't intentional...a minor oversight!;)

He's got a 220, not a 2 hunny. Do they work as well on the 220??I also figured since he has the 607 reeds he's be good to go.

Rider preference and ride area conditions sorta dictate what mods are more important but good suspension is always a good idea. That steering dampener is a good idea on a Kawwie too, their nervous Little bikes.

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
Freds List is Dead on. The springs are only $50.00 from FRP. Best $ ever spent on a KDX IMO.

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
The DF II works great on the 220!! I finally got some power on the top end, with a stronger mid. Made a big enough difference on mine that I'm going to put off the RB carb mod for a while.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Hey MODERATOR!
We need to keep this list at the TOP of the Forum... These questions are ALWAYS asked. :)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
!!Note!! The following completely verified, veritable, true and otherwise correct!!

The DFII is great for every bike!

**!!Note!!** The previous completely unsupported in any manner, way, fashion or white paper. ;)

607s won't hold a candle to the DFII. If for no other reason than tip area..let alone adjustability and basic design of the cage.

Let's face it...a dirt bike is a $$ black hole in any case..and the kdx is GREAT at it. And that's just improvements!! Heck..the thing hardly every breaks. What a terrific deal that is!!

There are just gobs of things waiting to be done...and each one is a delight to ride. You wonder how many times you can say, 'Wow! How did I ever ride it before!!??'

Fred covers the basics pretty darn good. ...but there's always room for a few more. A lighting coil, a steahly FWW, an FRP kicker, ...and there's ALWAYS room for more gear......asterisks for example!!

LET THE SPENDING BEGIN!!!

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
Shouldn't he check the sag in the front forks, or see if they bottom before he starts throwing heavier springs in.................

offroadaudio

Nov 27, 2002
If you do all that engine work to a KDX, won't you just have an ill mannered MX power band on a KDX that keeps jumping out from under you in the woods? (or is it just me) ha ha

kdxracer577

Oct 25, 2002
i dident see anyone mention porting. shouldent that be on the list?? i also installed a "spiralmax" unit on my kdx 200 (www.spiralmax.com for more info). its made for cars and all it does is swirl the air before entering the carb for better combustion. i noticed more pulling power way up on top end. and what is RB carb mod??

sledman

Oct 23, 2002

Lew....who did your suspension, what EXACTLY did you have done, what is your weight and riding style, and what did it cost?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…