What oil should i put into my klr650?

bwyand92

Jun 14, 2009
Today I went to the Harley shop to get oil for my dads harley. The clerk wanted me to buy the special Harley oil and I asked what the difference from that and regular Valvoline (oil I always put in my car and fourwheeler.) He said you need motorcycle oil and has no experience with Valvoline.

I then asked about my KLR and told him I ride it 90% on the road and said he really had no idea. I just changed it yesterday and put Valvoline in it 10w-40, will I be okay with this? I figure oil's oil, but its not like I'm rolling in a Harley.

mas2de

May 3, 2009
I don't think the 650 cares. You're not racing so oil is pretty much oil. If factory says 10-40 just go with it. If its air cooled and its getting overheated try a different oil. But Valvoline is pretty good. And for the Harleys, they just puke it out every orifice anyway. Hahahaha. My dad just uses regular old parts house brand 60W most of the time. If you could I'd say Royal Purple. Not exactly cheap but...
If he wants like $15/qt tell him to cram it and give you the nonstupidly-rich-guy stuff.
Mike

Last edited:

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
I hear that Rotella T 15-40 is becoming popular with the bike crowds.
Or Rotella Ts the synthetic 5-40 weight.
(i use this in my Bronco and it works great!)
If it doesnt have the "energy conserving" logo on the bottle it should be good.

oh...........and IBTL! :nener: ;) :laugh:

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I agree with the above. That 650 engine will run perfectly, and do it forever, without coolant, oil or sparkplug. They are good and reliable. The synthetic diesel oil is a great choice.

Top Bottom