What oil?

John Cena

Nov 11, 2004
Hi Guys I'm new to dirtbiking, I just bought a 92 KDX 200 without a manual I was wondering what kinda oil goes in the black plug behind the kick starter?

Thanks for all help! :cool: Great Site guys!

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
10W-40.Any good name brand from your dealer will be fine. Go ahead and add a full quart if you want. It's different than your four stroke, it won't hurt a thing, and will help reduce noise.

John Cena

Nov 11, 2004
So I can get Quaker State peak performance 10w-40? Gonna go get some gotta get riding not much snow free days left :bang: . I was wondering does anyone use NGK Iridium spark plugs? If so do they make your bike run better then standard plugs?

Thanks again :ride:

Roland C

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2002
Quaker State would work fine in the gearbox. I personally don't think the Iridium plugs make much of a difference, at least not considering how much more expensive they are.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Hold on!

Motor oil is fine for the tranny (which is what the black plug behind the kicker plugs up).

Being an older bike, it would be good to use what HAD been used. What came out of it? Or can you even tell?

Lots of riders use ATF in the gearbox. Some use gear oil.

The 'peak performance' part of what you said makes me wonder. If that is a friction modifier supplemented oil, you do NOT want to use that!! Slicker is NOT better when it comes to clutches...and again, there is the 'what was in it before' idea. The mixing of some oils is not a good idea. If what was in there was a full synthetic it would be a good idea to stick to that.

Doubt that.

A fine wire plug will perform better than a fat wire plug. Whether or not you could tell the difference is another matter. I split the difference...An -EG plug is not a whole lotta bucks, and I prefer it considerably over an -ES plug.

John Cena

Nov 11, 2004
Unknown

So it should be using transmission oil? Where can I get that? wal-mart? Thanks.. Gonna have to return the 4 quarts of quaker lol :eek:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Response I got was:
have no idea what was in there before :| I found part of a sticker on the plastic that read trans 85w dont know what that is if there related. Damn i just bought 4 quarts of Quaker :eek:

I didn't say you should be using transmission oil.

85W is a gear oil number. That would indicate that something like BelRay Gearsaver was used.

I don't know that the motor oil you have won't do. Like I said, it's the 'peak performance' part that's the issue. That sort of terminology commonly applies to an oil that has a friction modifier added...like I said already, too. The bottle label will say something that will indicate it has modifiers in it. 'Gas Saver' I think is one of them. Don't use that.

I doubt you will be finding GearSaver at Walmart. I've never looked for it there. Any bike shop will have it.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
you can't go wrong with ATF type F oil. Its extremely cheap and you can get it at walmart in a mass quantity for very low $$$. Just make sure it is TYPE F. I know a lot of people who use it and have had no problems including myself. With this gear oil since its so cheap, you can change it very often without putting a dent in your wallet. Good luck

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
canyncarvr said:
If that is a friction modifier supplemented oil, you do NOT want to use that!!

I was reading down through the thread hoping someone would mention this. A "good quality" motor oil (with friction modifier additives) can make your clutch slip.

Mobil 1 synthetic with the red cap (15W-50) is a great choice (no friction modifier additives). I use it in my YZF and my KDX's gearbox. Yeah, by all means dump a full quart in the KDX.

I really like the Mobil 1 products. MX2T for premix, synthetic ATF in the forks and shock, "red cap" in the gearbox. Heck, the stuff would probably even taste pretty good on your morning cereal should you run outta milk!

:laugh:

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
Funny how you can go to Wal-Mart and use the cheap ATF but if you mention that you use the super tech 2-stroke pre mix your asking for trouble. I guess I'll have to go another 2000 miles on my 97 220.

John Cena

Nov 11, 2004
I got it found the bel ray 85 w for 10 bucks canadian a quart at the local bike shop.

Quailchaser

Jan 30, 2004
Well, just for fun I'll post what I run. John Deere Hy-guard transmission/clutch oil. I buy it in the 5 gal barrel. Works out to be less than $2 US per quart and it's designed for hd wet clutch use.

flame on.
Robb

Dogz

Aug 30, 2003
Can't say I'd use Hy-Guard, it has a ton of additives and modifiers, Its for hydrostatic drives and hydraulics, anti foam agents and all kinds of stuff in there, From John Deere you can buy a gallon jug of high guard additive you mix with normal oil to modofy thaty oil for use in heavy equipment.
I bet it'd work great in a Harley, but then again they tell you to run Rotella diesel oil if you can't get genuine H.D! oil !!!!
But hey you've used it for ages and it works for you.
I may not be much better I run Canadian Tire 10-40 4 stroke bike oil. It says right on the jug for use with wet clutches.
I dump in the whole litre and change it regular, Its about 4$/Liter.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I've had second thoughts about ATF. It worked great at cleaning up my slipping clutch plates (don't slip any more), but my tranny started to not want to shift out of 4th gear about 75% of the time. I went back to Mobil 1 15-50 and that pretty much fixed it.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…