ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
I am soon going to be bringing home an 06 yz125 that I will mostly be using for trail riding and some other misc. rinding.
I like the FMF sst pipe because it seems to have the best low end power but would it be good for trails? Also whats the best spark arrestor silencer to get? I like the shorties but I'll need to be legal...
And is there a spark arrestor silencer on the market the isnt 4 feet in length? Or would that defeat the whole purpose of them? :think:

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
"The SST pipe increases mid range pull and extends the over-rev considerably while sharpening the ... " - taken from fmfracing.com

You want a smoother, stronger hit from low to mid range for woods/technical riding,unless your really, really fast, or you like to clutch a whole lot. I would say look at the FMF Gnarly or PC Platnium 2 pipe if you do mostly woods riding

Spark arrestors are longer. That being said, some are longer than others. I think the longer it is the smoother power or better low end(or that's the claim), but I should think it would be minimal if any. However, you do need it to be legal....

Hope this helps.

JustinC

Apr 5, 2005
FMF doesn't make gnarly pipes for 125's and Pro circuit doesn't make a Platinum 2 for 125's. Ride the bike first, you might not even want different pipe. If you really want the best results have the cylinder ported and head modded for more bottom end, it probably is cheaper than a pipe anyway if you have Eric Gorr do it. If you are dead set on buying a pipe I would stay away from the SST, from what I heard it has a tendency to make the bike ping and need race fuel.

loaner

Feb 6, 2006
For Wide Open Desert/trail Riding Here, The Stock Pipe With A FMF Turbine Core 2 Has Been Perfect For My Yz250. Shorties Are For The Track. Until You Mangle The Stock One Don't Bother Changing The Pipe. Good Luck

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Get the quietest siliencer you can get if you want to keep any trails open for very long. The FMF Q is real nice. Yeah it's long but you really don't notice it when you're riding. If you need better low end power get the motor ported for it.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
RM_guy said:
Get the quietest siliencer you can get if you want to keep any trails open for very long. The FMF Q is real nice. Yeah it's long but you really don't notice it when you're riding. If you need better low end power get the motor ported for it.

I'll probably send it in to E.G. for the 144 big bore when time comes for a new top end. I'll have to look around at the silencers though.

coal cracker

Sep 23, 2005
RM_guy said:

Is the FMF turbine core II-Q silencer quieter than the Pro Circuit Type 296??? Just wondering because I'm wanting to make my 04 cr250 legal for U.S. Forests. Right now I have a Platinum II pipe with a shorty silencer that I want to replace with a quality spark arrestor that is quiet but does not take away much bottom end.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
coal cracker said:
Is the FMF turbine core II-Q silencer quieter than the Pro Circuit Type 296??? Just wondering because I'm wanting to make my 04 cr250 legal for U.S. Forests. Right now I have a Platinum II pipe with a shorty silencer that I want to replace with a quality spark arrestor that is quiet but does not take away much bottom end.
I'm not sure about the Pro Circuit silencer. When I bought my FMF Q I had heard that it was the quietest so I went with it. I lost a little power accress the board but there is still more power than I can handle. I also got Eric's Mo Power Everywhere port job so that really made up for any power loss.

Dieselhed

Feb 16, 2006
Coal Cracker.....I have the same bike you do with a PC Platinum 2 pipe and the Type 296 on it when I trail ride. My buddy is usually behind me (because he's alot slower) and he is amazed at how quiet it is compared to my 304 shorty that's usually on it. I did notice the low end come on somewhat smoother with it on than the shorty also. I liked it so much that lately I just leave it on when I do ride MX.

Top Bottom