What should I look listen for when buying used?

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
What should I look / listen for when buying used?

I'm planning to buy my first dirtbike hopefully this weekend if I find one. I have the money, just need to find the bike! I'm looking at KDX220's and KX250's. Anyways, when I'm looking, what kind of problems should I look for or listen for? I've seen the boot marks on the frames of some bikes. I hear that is a good indication of how much it has been used. Thanks for any info or advice! Matt

Last edited:

killerbeez 75

Oct 26, 2004
There is quite a bit of stuff you can look for.Look for any rust anywhere.Dents in the pipe.Oil on the motor.How much oil is comming out the pipe.Scratch marks on the forks or side of the swing arm.general presentation of the bike(do you have a good feeling about the bike).Stock or aftermarket plastics.If he has aftermarket plastics it means that 75% of the time the bike was pretty abused and he or she put new plastics on to sell it and make it look good.Condition of the tires.How soon do you have to change the brake pads.Look underneath the bike and see how much damage is on the frame.Look for any cracks in the frame or subframe.Condition of the clutch(how does it feel).When was the last time the top end was replaced.Condition of chain and sprockets.All of this can be determined by how new the bike may be as well.For most instances, the newer,the better.I hope some of this will help you on your new purchase.Good luck.

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
Sounds like you're about to buy a almost new bike. You will get bootmarks on the frame in minutes unless you have frameguards.

I think you shouldnt look for such a new bike as a first bike. Why? many reasons. You may not find it fun and then you will most likely lose more money than a older bike when selling it. Another is that in case there are some serious problems like the cylinder is bad or gearbox you will also find yourself throwing even more money. Also i think it is good that you should learn your errors on a older bike and learn how to maintain it. But the biggest reason for getting a older bike is that you will appreciate buying a new bike alot more.

Well whatever bike you are going to buy a recommend taking someone with you that have experience with dirtbikes.

Crash 142

May 30, 2002
Also don't forget to take a good look at the person you're buying it from. If their place and garage and other things look taken care of, the bike was probably taken care of.

killerbeez 75 gives good suggestions. I would add spin the wheels to look for flat spots in the rims.

Also ask if they kept a maitenance log - how often they changed the transmission oil, etc.

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
ALSO;
If it isn't too much work, check the air filter. If someones trying to sell a bike with a dirty filter, they probably didn't clean it much when they were riding it either. I've even seen filters that had come unglued on bikes for sale :bang: Wouldn't hurt to check the oil, but its kinda hard to go by unless it smells bad or has discoloration from a water leak, because on the bikes you're looking at, the oil will look dirty right after an oil change because of the wet clutch. Also inspect the motor for oil leaks. Shift shaft and kick start seals are easy/cheap to replace, a leak between case halves isn't as easy. Get bike on stand, check wheel bearings, rear suspension free play, fork free play. Pay attention to how smoothly clutch engages. I've tried many bikes that were "grabby" clutches. Upon inspection the clutch basket was notched on most of these. Keep track of defects, mentally add the value of the work you would want to put on each bike you look at to get it up to your standards, and take that into consideration when deciding.

Top Bottom