robsterzallan

Jun 30, 2008
I have an RM 85 L 2005. How many tooth sprockets should i get? 13, 14, or 15 teeth for the front sprocket and 46, 47, 48, 49, or 50 tooth for the back sprocket. What is the difference? Also how many chain links should i get? 120, 130, or 136? what is the difference?

Thanks!!

robsterzallan

Jun 30, 2008
what kind of sprockets do i buy?

the guy who i bought it from said it had 11 hours of riding and its had a good 200 just by looking at it and the sprokets are warn to nothing and i was going to replace them before this seasons first race. and yes i would like to upgrade from stock

Dylan19302

Jun 27, 2008
well the you ussually go by 1 more tooth in the front is like taking 2 teeth from the back. The larger the front the more top speed you will have. the smaller the front the more bottom end you will have. The smaller the back the more front end and the bigger the back the more bottom end. So it depends on what you want from you bike bottom or top end speed.

Dylan19302

Jun 27, 2008
I havent really messed around with sprockets yet. But 50 in the back should be good but i dont really know. Im gessing if you go to big in the back and too small in the front you will start to blow the engine but i would just go 50 in back and stock in front and see that but wait for other suggestions

mavrck

Jun 2, 2008
sprockets

i would go down 1 in the front if i'm guessing around with gearing just because its cheaper for a front sprocket also going down in the front is like going up 2 1\2 or 3 teeth in the rear so you will have much better bottom end.

Dylan19302

Jun 27, 2008
but by changing the sprockets dont get worried when you loose top speed. My dad has a 82 xs 650 and he had a sprocket on one tire and it got a flat. So he just changed to his old tire that had 2 or 4 teeth more and sprocket and we went to port dover bike rally. It would be running very hard to go 100 km and hour. He changed the sprocket back to normal and can run 140 as hard as he was with the other sprocket

robsterzallan

Jun 30, 2008
ok thanks. i wanted to go with a kit with a new chain and both sprockets to save money. im getting a renthal kit with 1 down from the front and 2 up in the back with a stock chain. thanks for all your help.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom