What tires for ice racing?

Swarty1

Jan 7, 2002
I don't think the T-Bergs are intended for racing on ice, they have a car type stud inserted into a hole in the tire and are intended for winter trail riding. We run knobbies with screws, you can use Gold Screws but the fast guy's run what we call Canadian screws. We take a street bike tire, cut the sidewall out and use it for a liner. The screws go through the knob securly into the liner. You can just put screws into the knobs but the pull out rather easily. You can also buy tires int the cycle news classifieds all ready to go cheaper than a set of t-bergs. If you are racing AMA you may want to check out waht the fast guy's are using and replicate their tires. Either way you will be amazed how they hook up. Keep your tire covers on when not on the ice and they will last forever.
Swarty

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Ditto. In Maine they did that every year, it's jus a PITA to get the tires mounted again!

Phillip

TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002
For riding on the snow/ice I just use a cheap pair of tires (or an old worn out pair) with sheet metal screws in them. So far it's worked great. Though there was this one winter where I took my 1979 Suzuki As50 out on snow/ice..with road tires :eek:

FritoBandito

Sep 18, 2001
The guys and I started riding last winter. We started with sheet metal screws put in the inside poking outward. It is a great way to get traction, but not too good for rubbin type racin. It is a little too dangerous and the screw heads were wearing the tubes out too fast. So the next thing was to line the tube with an old tube, but it doesn't fit into the tire easily. Next we tried the ice screws that Dennis Kirk has in their catalog, and then the tires don't go flat every time you go ride. I wish there was more info about the tires and screws so you didn't need to figure out things on your own. I don't think there are too many of us that like fixing flats. And its worse with cold hard tires.

Swarty1

Jan 7, 2002
Ole Jackpiner wanted to know what you have to have to race. They won't let you use screw's coming from the inside of the tire most places. If you just put screws into the knobs they will pull out. All racers run their screw's into an inner-liner. It is much easier that you would imagine to very carefully cut a steet bike front tire right along the edge of the tread, it will leave you with a band around 3-4" wide, you will need to make a good cut to butt the 2 end's togathern to fit snugly in your tire. Most everyone starts with new knobbies. You run the screws in with a drill from the outside. There are all sort's of completed products available, including complete tires.
If you arn't going to race just throw screws and your tire and go, it is amazing how good they go. Just get screw's you know won't go all the way through the tire.
Swarty

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…