bully1027

Jul 17, 2002
i do 90% fo riding on trails, most black dirt. what are a good set of tires that are very thorn resistant? on my road bicycle i would buy kevlar belted tires that had more threads per inch in the casing to prevent flats but i haave never bought tires for my dirtbike. the rims are stock 1994 KDX or what ever came on it.

all opinions welcome.

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
bully, I've still got the OEM Dunlop on my KDX, however, I rode with a guy on a KTM this past weekend that was running an IRC Volcanduro(sp?) and that dude was hooking up like mad. I guess the tire is for intermediate to hard terrain, but from my position (slower and ducking the mess he was launching at me) he didn't have any trouble in the soft/loose/silty stuff either. I'm thinking about switching over to it myself. Also, the cost didn't seem too bad either, around fifty bucks at rocky mt. mc. I believe. Good luck.

Razorback

Jul 12, 2002
The IRC tires work really good and the price is good also.The last tire on my list was the Kenda Unadilla.The price was a little better than the IRC so I gave one a try.After over 200 tough desert miles including rocky hills and trails the tire still has plenty of life left.I run one I my XR400 and when the stock Dunlop is finished on my KDX that's the tire I will get for it.They work great, wear great and the cost is hard to beat $43.00 plus tax.I havn't tried a front Unadilla yet but I will when I need a front tire.If you normally run a 100 x 100 go with a 110 x 100 instead.It's got a little more meat but not enough to cause a problem.For the money it's worth a try.I think you will be suprised as I was.

Razorback

Jul 12, 2002
Lew,
No,I still have the 100 x 100 Dunlop on my KDX but thats what I run on my XR400 and the overall width of the 110 Unidilla is only 3/8 " wider . The 100 Dunlop 695 measures 4 3/4". The Uni 110 measures 5 1/8".
Thats only 3/16" closer to the swingarm on each side.My KDX like yours has an easy 3/4" of clearence per side.I'm running the stock 13/47 gears so if you have a larger gear set your tire may be closer to the front of the swingarm but it should still fit.The reason I say go with the 110 is because the 100 Uni is a bit smaller than a 100 Dunlop.My XR came stock with a 110 Dunlop so I bought the 110 Uni but it's a little smaller.The UNI also comes in a 100 x 120 x 18 and next time the XR gets a 120. Sorry for so many numbers. :eek:

rvguy

May 31, 2002
Vee Rubber makes some good tires with heavy duty 6-ply casings. The ones I have seen are dirt cheap. Alot of the guy's around here use them due to the fact that if you do get a flat, you can still ride out of the woods.

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
rvguy ..... I baught a Vee Rubber 110/100 because of the price about 4 months ago. It's gone. I've never seen a tire wear so poorly or break up so bad. Very soft rubber and in rocks, probably half of the center cleats are gone, some right down to the casing. Just my $.02.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
i have a 110/100 d756 and w a 50 t sprocket i wouldn't want a bigger one in there, the 756's have been good performers but i wish they'de last longer i gotta look into the unidilla's from what u say...mike i'll e u

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by Moose95
I rode with a guy on a KTM this past weekend that was running an IRC Volcanduro(sp?) and that dude was hooking up like mad. I guess the tire is for intermediate to hard terrain, but from my position (slower and ducking the mess he was launching at me) he didn't have any trouble in the soft/loose/silty stuff either. I'm thinking about switching over to it myself.

I was on that ride myself and to tell you the truth that tire not only wore well but gave him everything he asked of it. I run D739's on front and back on my peice of Vintage Dirt", they are great tires but not up to par whith the way his wore.

Happy Trails,
Phillip

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
The IRC tires are very good trail tires. We have been running some Maxxis Ct60001 tires this season. They were half price of the IRC units. Traction is excellent as they look like a paddle with spots cut out of them. Just the general shape. With a matched front and rear the bike was better in loose, muddy, gravel and hardpacked dirt.

The front on my xr600 was wearing really well. But a day in the rocky desert and about 50 street miles really cut down the rear knobs. They are a softer rubber for sure.

But the way I see it at half the price of the IRC tires, I can change them 2x as often to keep fresh rubber each season on the bike.

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
JasonWho,

I now run a 739 100/100 after wearing out the stock 695. Here in the Ozarks it's extremely rocky, both loose and embedded. The 695 lasted a long time (5 months of weekly riding/racing) and didn't chunk off the knobs. It also hooked up real well.

The 739 also hooks up but isn't wearing quite as well, specifically, I'm chunking some of the center knobs a bit.

I don't think you can go wrong with either tire in the rocks. Both have stiff sidewalls that help prevent pinch flats.

BTW, the stock 495 is an awesome hard surface tire. I'll probably stick with it up front.

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom