What to look for in a used XR200?

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
I have convinced myself that the best beginner bike for my wife is an XR200. Considering this, I have found several used XRs for sale. The years range from 1981 - 1990. I have some experience with most 2-strokes and some Euro 4-strokes, but none with XRs.

I'll probably replace anything that needs replacing or rebuilding, but would rather have a lower initial investment and replace parts as needed or wanted by my wife. Basically, I want to spend as little as possible for this bike, but want it safe and to be able to re-sell it after my wife grows out of it. So I have a few questions:

1. What years should I avoid and why?
2. Anything in particular that I should look for or specific years that are better?
3. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but is there anything really difficult or requiring special tools on these bikes?
4. What problems have you had, i.e. getting parts for older XRs, etc.

Thanks in advance for all your input. Now all I have to do is find the right bike for the right price.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
How tall is your wife and what is her riding ability? From 1981-1991 the XR200Rs have longer suspension, lights, etc. These bikes are also taller. The 84-85 models have four-valve heads and are suppose to make quite a bit of power compared to other models. The post 91 models have shorter suspension and no lights, but they still have a lighting coil. These bikes are basically bullet-proof, except for the 84-85 models, which can have some problems with camshafts, valves and overheating. Good luck in your search.

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
The '84 and '85 models also have the dual carb setupl, which also makes the bike hard to tune. I had an '87 model up until a few months ago, original owner since '88. Old besty was great, NEVER let me down, always got me home, she was a good bike.

As mentioned, after '91 they stripped the lights (but not the lighting coil) and the chopped the suspension travel, and the adjustability of the shock. Other than that, the motor, frame etc. is all the same. The biggest dislike I had about the bike was the 17" rear wheel. That I've ever seen, only Bridgestone and IRC make tires for it. The drum brakes are almost non existent, but you hardly need brakes for the little 200, just downshift.

Watch for valve adjustment and cam chain stretch/misadjustment. The trannys are supposedly weak when using cams, big bores etc., but stock the motor will run forever with a little maintenance. As with any bike, check the bearings for play, and look for cracks in the frame welds.

My little 200 responded well to an XR's Only pipe, UNI filter with no backfire screen, richer jetting, and a 48T (13/47 stock) rear sprocket.

Good luck.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
snaggle, I have to disagree about the grakes on the 200. The brakes on mine are excellent, they respond to the lever/pedal and stop the bike very well.

Coop

Jan 21, 2000
Speedy they do work well for drum brakes, but once you ride a bike with a disc brake even in the front, the feel non-existent

My brother-in-law has a 1991 XR200. It has some tranny problems where it sometimes won't shift from 2nd to 3rd. I have it in my garage now getting ready to tear into to fix for him. Seems to run pretty well for a 200 besides that, and I feel it was due to neglect and misuse.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
yo-G,
I had an 84 XR200R the dual carbs are a bear. I would look for a year with single carbs.
If you don't mind dual shocks the 81-84 XR200E was a great bike. We had 3 of them and they never stopped runing.:moon:

ThumpinTahoe

Jan 19, 2002
I would go with a new one since they run in the low $3000 range. If she outgrows it like my wife is you can sell it and get enough back for the upgrade. I am desperately trying to figure out what my wife can fit on since she is only 5'1". She has turned into a hell of a rider and needs more power and suspension. She wants to do a Hare Hound scramble, but I am worried she might blow up the little 200. I want a bike with an oil cooler and an oil filter also.

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
I would get the 1990, my uncle has a 1991, and Its a great bike.
Never lets himd own

once you try disc brakes, you will never go back.I thought the brakes on my xr80 were good, until I got my cr!! what a difference, + there is no brake fade after going through ponds, or puddles

Top Bottom