What will the Boyesen Power Reeds do?

Wallydog

May 14, 2002
I have a 2001 KDX 220 with pro circuit pipe, no air box lid, 12 tooth cs sprocket. I have the power reeds but haven't put them on as the bike is running great. What should I expect by putting them in? Will they even be noticed on a fine running bike? I thought they would be an inexpensive performance upgrade. Are they worth it or should I send them back? Thanks

Apr 6, 2004
reeds

Reeds are a cheap way to get instant performance. You'll definately feel the response and the quickness. The only minor problem is that it will make it run richer. Of course, that may mean adjusting the carb and changing the jets. Other than that, why change anything on the bike if it's running fine? On the other hand, half of the fun of MXing is tinkering with the bike!

rlbranson

Dec 24, 2003
I put boyesen reeds in my 1998 kdx 200. neither I nor my friends can tell any difference. maybe if your reeds are worn, putting in new reeds will help. you never can tell what will work untill you try it. i am planning to put a v force reed cage in and see what that does.

bob

Wallydog

May 14, 2002
The response from rlbranson makes me say "Why bother?" I was hoping for a performance increase you could really feel, something like the air lid toss or when you get your jetting right. The bike has low mileage so I am sure the stock reeds are not worn. I am on a budget and like to spend the money in the need to have category versus want to have. I need a tall seat set up more than anything else on the bike. I want a RB carb mod, v-force, KX front end, EG porting, PC silencer etc. but will probably never have them. Nice to hear about all the stuff you can think about wanting in this forum though. How else am I going to know what I might "need" someday?

est142

Dec 30, 2003
I have the boy. 607 2stage reeds in my kdx220. I have the same pipe as you and airbox lid is drilled of course. I think for $30 I would just replace the reeds. You gain much crisper throttle response overall. It also does not load up as much at lower throttle levels...clears up out of idle much quicker than single stage reeds. If you are looking for big power gains,than change to a performance reed cage. If you want cleaner response,than install the 607s. I run 40/145 jetting for sealevel riding, mostly tight trails. You can kinda feel the second stage reed operation kick in around 4000 rpm. I run middle needle notch,stock needle. Air screw 1 1/4 turns
Runs excellent...top to bottom.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Does the installation of the nreeds effect the entire jetting range?

Duke

Wallydog

May 14, 2002
Thanks for the response. Interesting, I have the same jetting as you and I am at 6000 feet. AS is 2 1/4 turns out and I have my needle one leaner than you , 2nd clip from top. Probably will have to go to 38 pilot and 142 main when I put the reeds in. Your post makes me want to keep them and put them in. How much of a change of jetting did you do after the reeds were installed? These 220s are sure fun with the PC pipe aren't they?

rlbranson

Dec 24, 2003
I did rejet down on the main and as I said it didn't make a noticible difference over the relatively new stock reeds. I have a fmf woods pipe on my 200 with the stock silencer. I wonder if the stock silencer gets clogged up and if doing something about the silencer would let the different reeds work better. when I get a v force reed cage I may try to sell these boyesen reeds on ****. If you want a real strong pipe for mid range on up to top end open up the stock pipe and clean all the perforated metal and oily fiberglass out. weld it back up and be surprised, but it is not the tractor setup. this is on a 1998 kdx 200.

bob

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…