firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I'm embarking on a project to clear and mark trail at our house. What works best as markers? Something I can staple on the trees? It's all our private property, so I can do what I like. I need to find something that's cheap, highly visible, and reasonably waterproof. Ideas?

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
You can do like I did, go ride a course after a race and pick up the nifty orange markers that say Moose on them. Think of it this way, you are also doing everyone a favor by picking up "trash" :)

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
MSR makes arrows that are printed on little cards for races. I would just use nylon construction tape. They should have it the tools section of Home depot. Its not sticky or anything and about an inch wide. Its floresant orange, green, or yellow. Easy to carry, very cheap, and water prof. We use it to lay out the enduro. Reach up and tie it on a branch. We just make sure that when you pass one piece that when you look up you can see the another. Also our circuits rule of thumb is that its always on the right side so you know which way your a going. If its on the left you are going the wrong way. Just leave about a foot to hang in the wind to make if visiable. Only arrows and Xs go in the corner or on approaches to danger areas.

Have about 10 or more friends over on a wet morning and the trail should get it pounded in good enough for so you don't need it, but it will last quite a long time. Also a fold up tree saw works realy well for triming face slapers. Just tuck it into you boot.

Last edited:

High Desert XR400

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2000
The surveyor's tape works great and is easy to use and clean up when needed. I have riden courses that use it only with no other markings.
They use a single piece to mark the trail and a double strand to mark corners. You can also alternate colors for danger zones.
Get it all set and we will all come over and help you beat it in.:)

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
The orange 1" tape works pretty well-- buy lots! You'll use it faster than you think.
You can also get 2" CAUTION tape-- good for blocking off areas where one part of the trail runs along side another. (If your property is like ours, you'll be winding back and forth, trying to make the most out of what you have!)
Instead of arrows, we've also used fluorescent orange spray paint to mark arrows on bigger trees, and for stumps, logs, or other "gotchas" on the trail

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
A trail for trail riding does not need to be marked as well as a race course. The previous suggestions for florecent surveyors ribbon is a good one. If you can get some enduro/hs arrows you can use them only at major turns. Enduro arrows, are not water proof so if you only need a small number of them, you can have them laminated at Kinkos. Then, you just staple them to the trees. They should last for a long time.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Flourescent spray paint!
Critters love paper arrows. ;)

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
We save lids off of coffee cans, kool aid containers, etc that are white or brightly covered. They will last several years.

DENNY

Nov 24, 1999
We used tape at first because the lumber company said no staples but we would over run turns. So we painted arrows on the trees with marker paint. Now we know which way to turn in advance.

Top Bottom