jjcotie

Jul 2, 2003
What year of KDX from the 80's is the best one to get and what is a reasonable price to pay? I'm thinking of spending in the 1000-1500$ range and would like to find the best year of that period. By best i mean most reliable, easiest to maintain and most common (spare parts). Anyone that could let me know it would be much appreciated. I just recently started riding off road when a buddy gave me his 1982 Yamaha YZ 80 which I had to rebuild, and as I am 6'2 it's a little on the small side for me to seriously ride off road. The KDX has been presented to me as the best all around O.R bike out there hence why I'm trying to find one.

jjcotie

Jul 2, 2003
Right on! thanks for the info. now all I have to do is find one in my area for some reason I'm discovering that manitoba is not a very off-road bike friendly province.

jjcotie

Jul 2, 2003
Right on! thanks for the info. now all I have to do is find one in my area for some reason I'm discovering that manitoba is not a very off-road bike friendly province. I should also mention that I'm not scared to work on it if it needs it. I'm no stranger to gutting 2-stroke engines.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I found my '92 on ebay, I paid $900 for it. I guess that would be $1350 canadian?

For those that missed the pic of the steering head bearing when I bought it:

BTW I did make the seller pay for the new bearing, even after he gave me a CT90 engine case.

Attachments

• headbearing2.jpg
    headbearing2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 139

jjcotie

Jul 2, 2003
after my experience with my YZ 80 I'm not expecting to gas and go. I traded a friend a 69 honda mini trail i was gonna fix up for my nephew. It wasn't running right when I got it. I had to get a new float needle and seat, a new foam air filter, and then when I had it going good the crank partially siezed so I got it rebuilt this fall new connecting rod and rebored cylinder then I put a new wiseco piston in, put it back together and the first time out two of the engine mounts rattled out of it. So i called the local Yamaha dealer and they wanted $10 a bolt!! So off to Home Depot I got the hardware for both the mount bolts, ny-lock nuts, and lock washers and some miscellaneous hardware for other parts of the bike for less than $4!! oh I also had to get the exhaust patched and a new clutch cable. I have new friction plates on order right now and the rear shock is going in to the local shop to be rebuilt and recharged. So basically I'll take a KDX in any kind of shape I have no problem with getting my hands dirty and turning a few wrenches.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
My God, Wibby! Warn a fella before you show carnage like that! If my bike had been in the room, and seen that she wouldn't have gone out to the garage tonite and end up peeing on the rug. (You know how the KDX loves to pee)

Barkeater420

Mar 4, 2003
I have a black 1994 for sale if you like. Not very close to you, but it is certainly gas and go! right in your price range too.....

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=404184

[email protected] is my email if you are at all interested.

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
I love the '80's KDX's as you can see by my stable. I just got back from riding in Colorado and the '80-175 and the '85-200 did great. I bought the '85 last August as a non-running basketcase. Parts are pretty easy to come by on eBay and Fredette Racing Products. The '83-85 are similar with mikuni carbs and no disc brakes. The '86-'88 have Keihin carbs, front disc, and KIPS exhaust valve. Then in '89 they went to water cooled. If I had my choice of any year it would probably be the '88. The brakes are great, bigger front forks, but also a higher seat. You can't go wrong on any year as far as reliablity. Every used KDX I have seen needed swingarm bearings. They can be had from Pivot Works, but you may have to call them for the older models. They didn't have an off the shelf package for my '85 or '88, but they found the right pieces for me, no extra charge. To check the swingarm, **** the bike on the kickstand so the rear wheel is off the ground. Grab the rear wheel and see if the is any play, side to side (swingarm bearing) or up and down (linkage bearing).

Good luck!

Nice job DRN...The **** is becasue I didn't say to lean the bike on the kickstand, I said to co_k the bike. What was I thinking? I've got to get my mind out of the gutter.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Hey barkeater420,

I'm interested in your KDX! e-mail me and let me know where you are.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom