whats a good trail bike for a short guy?

76roller

Jun 11, 2009
im 5'6" 175lbs, i like doing alot of trail riding mainly, i prefer 2 strokes but they are all pretty tall. i like the seat hight of my buddys cr80, but i thinks thats for 125 pounds, any ideas maybe a 4 stroke?? anyone else with the same short leg problems :bang:

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I'm about 5'6" as well. I have no problem on my KDX200. It's about as tall as most older 250's though. It's just something to get used to.

There's also the option of lowering links, raised forks, shaved seat, suspension revalve. Pick the bike you like and then make it fit you!

J.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Be careful lowering bikes, it completely changes the handling. There is a guy here at work who lowered a KX or KDX 200 for his daughter and it destroyed the handling.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
jb_dallas said:
Be careful lowering bikes, it completely changes the handling. There is a guy here at work who lowered a KX or KDX 200 for his daughter and it destroyed the handling.

Depends on how it's done. Done correctly, it should not affect the overall handling of the bike.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Off the top of my head, I've lowered a KX500, KX250, KX85, KX65, and a Harley Sportster. I know it effects handling but I'm no racer, just a weekend woods plunker. They ride just fine by me. My kids don't notice it either. Kawasakis are easy to lower with the rear suspension links. Lower the triple clamps on the forks and you're good to go. I even cut the seat foam on my KX500.

If you give it a try this cheap way first and don't like it, you can easily have the susupension redone at a shop.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Have you guys ever priced out lowering a bike at a $90 per hour shop? What happens if you dont like the handling? Do you take it back and pay for them to return it to stock? What about resale, how do you think lowering a dirtbike affects resale?

May 10, 2007
jb_dallas said:
Have you guys ever priced out lowering a bike at a $90 per hour shop? What happens if you dont like the handling? Do you take it back and pay for them to return it to stock? What about resale, how do you think lowering a dirtbike affects resale?

well if you send it to a suspension shop (i bet MX tech does it but im not sure) they will lower it and in most places will return tune your suspension for little if you dont like how it is.

also it doesnt affect resale that much either. there are other short people out there too.

and a crf250 is no lower then a cr250.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…