What's the deal with fancy 2-stroke oils?

cjreeder

Dec 23, 2002
At the bike shop are a bunch of fancy 2-stroke oils I've never heard of, all for about $6 a quart. At the local gas station there are all the good ol' standbys in 2-stroke variety, Pennzoil and Chevron, for about $3 a quart. So what's the skinny?

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
The more expensive oils are usually synthetic or semi-synthetic and will lubricate and burn cleaner than an outboard oil (typically) in your dirtbike. Mobil 1 MX2T is an excellent oil and is available at Autozone for $3.49 a pint. P.S. Everyone has their own opinions and favorites when it comes to 2-Stroke oils, but what ever you do mix at a good ratio for your engine and RPMs.

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
I'm an Amsoil user, would recomend it to anyone. Topend lasts forever, VERY little spooge, and never foul plugs. What more could you ask for, other than it cost less.

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
If you search these forums for "OIL" you will have hours of good reading from personal recommendations to scientific information.

One thing I can say IMO is Do Not look at Price $$$. Cheap out board oils may indeed work well in average conditions. The Motorcycle Specific oils run from $4.00 -$16.00 a Qt/Litre. My son and I run 3 bikes all season with 2 of them averaging 30 harescrambles a year. Roughly 150 gallons of Racefuel a year and 30 Qts of 2 Cycle Oil. If I was to save even $ 5.00 per QT that is $150. That is a drop in the bucket with a 3 Bike (1 casual rider) budget of $10,000 plus. That money would barely get a top end.

Top Bottom