what's the hot set-up in brakes?

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
Does anyone have a brake set-up they love? The stockers served me well, I just changed the pads a few months ago, with some TUSK sintered metal pads. They stop fine but are nearly used up. (1/3 the longevity of the stockers).
I'm not looking for extra stopping power per say... just a combo that will work as well as the OEM brakes and last a while in lots of mud.

Thanks for the help.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
You have to watch some of the aftermarket brand pads on the rear of the Kawis. They are like 1/3 the thickness of the stock pads. EBC is like that on the KDX250 bikes. They would like a like normal X pad, but to match the same thickness as the stocker I would need a 2x pads (denotes twice the thickness).

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Using a solid rotor your pads will last twice as long anyways. My particular rotor can't use anything but the X pads. Any other pads with metal in them scratches the rotor. Thats fine with me though because they happen to be the cheapest. I have tried all different types and I like the "feel" of the X pads most. On the front I have had good success with Yamaha oem pads.

Johnnyboy

Aug 25, 2001
Solid rotor for the rear by Moose with EBC standard brakes (not the double sintered - they wear rotors fast)
For the front I am going to get Honda CR250 pads and try them. Same design and Honda is known to have THE BEST brakes. If that doesn't make it work great then I might look into getting a Honda or KX master cylinder.
First I have to wear out my current Kawi pads.
-John

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
I'm running the EBC pads for the first time and they are lasting a LOT longer than the rest I've used. (can't remember what I used last time) I'm not gonna spring for a solid rotor right now, but for now, I'm sold on the EBC.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I've used EBC pads in the past...the 'X' type. I've never been crazy about their longevity.

On my new brakeline rear rotor (drilled) they are lasting MUCH longer that they did on the oem kdx rotor.

btw: EBC pads (and likely everyone else's) do NOT come with the associated pad hardware, the fiber and the metal plates that hold those fiber pads. If you order a set of pads from Kawi, they come as an 'assembly' which includes those pieces.

You can transfer the backing plates and fibers to a set of EBC brakes...but not forever. Eventually the clips holding the backing plates on break..and probably earlier than that the fiber pads disintegrate.

Cost of the oem set was only a few bucks more than a set of EBC pads (the oem set from ronayers).

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom