Mar 25, 2008
Someone please tell me; What is the truth about using premix that has been mixed and sitting for a couple weeks. I use Sunoco brand 93 Octane mixed with HP2 at 40:1 and some people have said that I should dump it out if it sits for more than a few days and some have said its perfectly OK to still use. I have used it after it has sat for weeks maybe a month or two and not had anything bad happen. Am I playing with disaster waiting to happen or is all this just an old and FALSE wise tale?

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
The oil itself will last for a looong time. It's today's gas that's the issue. When I fill up a gas can I mark it with the date of the "new" fuel. The old steel gas cans were better too...... todays plastic ones will allow vapor leaking (loss of octane.) After 2 months we won't use it in the bikes anymore. I've mistakenly left fuel in the weedeater over the winter and kicked myself come spring when having to pull the carb off and clean out the gum. I think about the only thing to be aware of as far as oil goes is to be careful with castor stuff, it doesn't like to stay mixed when temps get down around freezing.

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
If its in a sealed can with limited air space it will last for several months+.If its vented a couple of weeks is about it. Old fuel will be harder to start especially when cold. Don't know if they still brew summer and winter blends (they had to when we all had carbies) but if they do that implies keeping fuel too long would have you with the wrong blend for the season.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
XRpredator said:
there is no truth about pre mix.

It's all lies.
:rotfl: :laugh:

Mar 25, 2008
still seeking more info

Hi everyone, Im just restarting this post so I can try to get more info from all the great minds on here. If Im using HP2 mixed with 93 Octane pump gas am I risking engine damage if I leave it sitting for a few weeks maybe a month then use it?

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
XXX Adrenaline Spo said:
If Im using HP2 mixed with 93 Octane pump gas am I risking engine damage if I leave it sitting for a few weeks maybe a month then use it?
Yes, you will be taking a risk.

It may work fine, or you may experience problems. It will depend on a variety of factors, including your engine set-up (jetting, timing, condition, mods., etc.,) the chemistry of the fuel, and the specifics of how you have stored it.

We do not have any of this information, so it will be impossible to for anyone here to give you an answer.

How much does some new oil cost? Compare that to the cost of an engine rebuild.

I just got finished using some of my 25% VP C-12, Yamalube-R pre-mix in my Stihl back-pack blower today.

Make your own decision, and live with the consequences. You've gotta love this country of ours! :nod: :cool: :ride:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I tend to put the 1 or 2 gallons of premix we have left after riding for a weekend in my POS 1995 Chevy S-10. So far nothing bad has happened.. I do try to only pour it in with an almost full tank.

Not wasted, and I don't care that I'm not using it in one of the bikes.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Ken, did you wear the back pack normal, or reversed? Gary that 95 still gets emission tested in the exhaust pipe? If its castor based, watch your time and temperature outside. Synthetic oils, the gas will go flat first!

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Ken, did you wear the back pack normal, or reversed?
:whoa: :think:
I didn't realize that there was another 'installation' option.

I'm still thinking about this one!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
IMO, unless a bike engine is tuned to top performance, there really isn't a whole lot of problems that can occur from simply running a tank of old fuel out.

Like 2-S4-e, I also suggest always shaking the bike real well before turning on the petcock, especially if there is a chance that some castor oil was used, as it will easily separate from the fuel and sit at the lowest point...and when it is the first thing the spark sees, it can cold foul the plug from the heavy concentration of oil and fuel with lost light ends.

Folks, I have run fuel that was months old. And I don't know that anything bad has ever happened. Sure, it will not provide the same performance as fresh fuel, but as long as it isn't two year old stuff from the lawn mower can, burn it up.

Or...not give a second thought about throwing some old premix into the truck or car. Won't hurt a thing.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
What you store your fuel in also makes a difference. I read somewhere that gasoline will last longer stored in a metal can than in a plastic container. Makes sense, anyway.
Of course, I still haven't went out and bought a metal can, but I might, as long as I've left my fuel sit around....

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Do you think the 2 stroke oil will harm the o2 sensors, or whatever all them wires go to on newer cars? I could see some guy with a hybrid,"well it said flex fuel ready?". On another note: anyone notice an unusually large amount of spam in between the posts?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Do you think the 2 stroke oil will harm the o2 sensors, or whatever all them wires go to on newer cars? I could see some guy with a hybrid,"well it said flex fuel ready?". On another note: anyone notice an unusually large amount of spam in between the posts?

I'm thinking 4 to 8 ounces of 2 stroke oil to about 15 gallons of gas, is so little, that it won't be of any consequence to the engine, or sensors. I'd bet that there are way higher concentrations of other contaminants in the normal tank of crap gas.

So far I haven't noticed any changes in the way my engine runs from the little premix I've poured in.

(if you're smart enough, you never see any ads.. on this or any other site.. )

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Quit playing games man! Yeah back in the day,,,, maybe,,,, should have taken that sissy typing and pc class? My work around, show it in printable version. Come on macintosh!

Top Bottom