Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
What is this? What does it do and why would we need it?

"Can you smell what the Rocks cooking?"

Attachments

• stems.jpg
    stems.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 581

Bud-Man

Dec 5, 2000
Jer,
Looks like KYB compression bolts. The one on the left looks like it's from an '02 Yamaha and the middle one from an '01 (also KX, CR125 and RM250... recently). The one on the right looks to be something new though. Is it a custom bolt or a prototype from KYB? Why do we need it? The middle and right bolts allow you to build bleed valving....I believe this allows you to change the speed range the adjuster will affect.

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
CR Pilot is right. Jer has obviously been playing on his lathe again. Quite interesting. I'll take a set for testing as soon as you have an extra. Some have mentioned before they felt this type of product was a waste of money. I have to speculate that any additional tuning capabilities we can get will be good though. This type of product is for the guy that has to have everything and wants a edge on his competition. Complicating tuning matters is bad for some guys though. I think it's cool. I still don't think this kind of thing can take the place of a proper revalve, but rather add to it's overall potential

Bud Man, John just wants to explain the layout of the bleed stack like you see on a CR 125. He will use the picture to point out where it sits and how the fluid flow through the bleed works against the bleed shimstack. Suspension component photo's are worth a thousand words and then some.

John Curea

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 29, 2000
Shocknut ,
How ya been 'ol boy?
You are absolutely right, a pic is worth an hour of me trying to type!!

Marcus
The one on the right is a WP component (6mm stem) I wont spill the beans about the collar....

Take Care, John

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Oops! I was wrong, Jers building bleed stacks into the WP forks I guess. YZ 85 could probably use one too.

Been doing pretty good John. How you been?

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Bump! rub the gennie's bottle and maybe he will talk :scream:

GB,
Here is the photo you wanted I fiogured it make more sence if we continued with an old topic rather than a new one.. The amazing depth of DRN..

terry hay

Nov 8, 2003
Variations on a theme- Three compression bolts - Two with the ability to mount valves stacks on the adjuster circuit. This would allow for more control over the adjuster as well as additional tunability overall. This would also mean the initial low pressure circuit in the forks would now become the rebound bleed/adjuster and would reduce lag time on the midvalve. This would also assist with the compressing or expelling of trapped air within the cartridge. An added bonus is that it holds the fork up in the stroke more effectively

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Bruce,
Its used to control the very lowest speed range of the fork, to say better prevent pitch when a rider roles the throttle off. It's effectiveness varies in performance very much depending on what the rod displacement is and the main valve stack properties..

I generally don't like them actually but they have a purpose.. What I've found is that when you run it the riders sense of feel is greatly compromised.. As there is no free and open circuit. I like to duplicate a 2-5 open clicker by installing that much openness by drilling a bleed bypass.. That way any velocity over a restriction of 2-5 open clicker will be damped under that threshold and you have nothing.. Its a very finicky system, use and modify at your discretion, bleed recommended.

I would also comment that yes it increases range of adjustment up a notch, and it has its best impanation on the new Showa's where it works in differential to the clicker..

I'm out, back next week if the string is still alive..

BR,
Jer

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
now i am confused.

ive had 2001 yz426 and yz250 forks apart. on the base valve, the yz426 had "21" stamped on the bottom- low and behold, it had 21 clicks of adjustment and also has the recess machined inside with a 27.1 bleed shim.

the yz250 had an identical BV, but with no bleed shims on there, however, at some point it had been apart so i am unsure if it came with them originally. oddly, this fork had "19" stamped on the bottom and had 19 clicks.

now, last night, i had another fork apart, again from a 2001 yz426- it had no recess machined for the passive bleed and of course had no shims on there- on the bottom of the basevalve it had "14" stamped, but i never got chance to count the clicks. is there any chance this fork is from an older model? i hope my freind didnt get duped when he bought the bike.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Originally posted by Jeremy Wilkey
What is this? What does it do and why would we need it?

I thought it was going to be a picture of a linkage... :thumb:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom