Wheel bearing maintenance?

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I want to clean/grease the wheel bearings on my '03 200, but there appears to be a permanent rubber dust seal on them.

I'm trying to do the "right thing" here...can the front/rear wheel bearings be greased, or are they sealed and I should just leave them alone? If they are supposed to be greased, would you give me a recommendation on a good tool to remove that rubber dust seal?

Thanks! :cool:

lankytim

Feb 26, 2004
Hi wanaride,

if you're really patient you could likely pull the plastic seal off the bearings and throw some grease in, but I've always just trashed the bearings and installed new ones when they get worn - they're usually pretty cheap. You can likely get equivalent bearings from your local bearing retailer and maybe save a few bucks, but on the front of mine there are some seals in the hub that I couldn't order from the bearing shop (they were a strange size) so Kawasaki parts might be needed there.

Knobbyjake

~SPONSOR~
Jan 29, 2000
Just use a small thin bladed screwdriver, insert carefully under the inner lip of the seal, pop the seals, clean the bearings with solvent and a brush and blow dry them with compressed air. Don't let the air spin the bearings, it could damage them. Repack them with good waterproof grease, push the seals back on and you're good to go. Even new bearings need this done, as they come with very little grease. :cool:

levert

Jan 29, 2002
Ditto for the above info.
In Canada it is cheaper to get the bearings from a bearing warehouse,they are around $10 a shot.I always keep an extra set in the car along with a set for the trailer.
I personally have never reused bearings if they where taken out, if the bearings feel good and are still installed putting extra grease in is always a good thing.

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
I usually pry the seals out clean and grease the bearings once before replacing them. The seals shrink and get damaged with time. The new bearings are not that expensive if you get them at a bearing supply place.

ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
I pull the seal off of brand new bearings and pack them with a high quality moly grease. you would be suprised at the amount (lack of) of grease in them when they are new.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
I've seen where people take a syringe and inject grease into the bearing and then seal the hole up with a dab of 2 part epoxy.

-Maurice

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Sorry about the double post JasonWho...I did see your great reply in the other forum though :worship:

I wasn't sure if the "rubber-ish" seal over the wheel bearings was a KDX thing or if it was universal, thus the post here...

ericf7

Nov 25, 2002
You can get a bearing packer attachment for your grease gun that will push grease all the way through your new bearings

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
To remove the bearing you have to pound on the inside race. Bad idea. It is:

1. Much harder to clean them if they stay in the hub.
2. Much harder to regrease them if they stay in the hub.

If you don't take off BOTH seals (inner and outer) the process won't work too well.

IF you're using something like an AllBalls replacement, for the $5/ea they cost it's not worth the time and effort (imo).

IF you are using something like a REAL bearing (say from CBR) then just grease them right in the first place and they will last quite a long time.

Keep in mind that the CBR bearings are lifetime guaranteed. That doesn't mean they don't LAST for YOUR lifetime (you hope), but it does mean they (CBR) will replace them when the do get sloppy. In that case (the guarantee) you might ask them about greasing them before install. That might void your warranty. Depending on how it's done and how good a grease you use you may NOT be doing yourself any favors at all.

BRYDEN1

Sep 22, 2003
As long as your careful there is no risk in popping out the seal and regreasing (as long as the bearing is still smooth). A seal pick with a 45' angle on the end works great. Carefully probe under the small circumference of the seal and pop it out. Practice on a old bearing, It's easy once you figure out the method. In a pinch I have done this on timing belt idlers(automotive) with great results. I also clean and regrease all my new wheel bearings with water resistant extreme duty grease. It is shocking to see how little low quality grease is in anew sealed bearing.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Yeah I noticed that when we were replacing the wheel bearings on my dad's quad. Makes me glad I didn't option up for the "better" Moose bearings for my 89, Sigh! :-)

-Maurice

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
I used the All Balls on my 89 when I rebuilt the suspension this last time. Seem to be holding up okay. I'll be watching them to see how long they last :-(

-Maurice

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…