Wheel bearing removal help ASAP

speedracer238

Feb 12, 2004
well i got one side in and out no problem but the right side bearing basically blew up when the last guy had it. The ball bearings and the inner race fell out but the outter race is stuck in the hub.(hopefully i explained that good :think: ) Any help on how to pop it out would be very much appreciated. THanks :thumb:

speedracer238

Feb 12, 2004
I don't know if i used the term outter race correctly, just to clear my stupidity up i meant the part that touches the hub

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
I've only replaced ones that were complete, inner and outer race.
Have you already replaced the other side? Seems it would be easy to get to, to tap it out from the opposite side, if the old bearing is out...?

speedracer238

Feb 12, 2004
craig_enid said:
I've only replaced ones that were complete, inner and outer race.
Have you already replaced the other side? Seems it would be easy to get to, to tap it out from the opposite side, if the old bearing is out...?

Well it was complete when it was put in but the guy that owned it before me just destroyed the bearing til it basically blew up. I thought about tapping it out but theres a tab on the hub that keeps the bearing from sliding towards the center of the hub.

speedracer238

Feb 12, 2004
well i ended up just cutting it with a dremel tool and carefully prying it out. took about an hour and a half but im glad i took my time instead of screwing things up. thanks for the help guys :yeehaw:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
For the record...the most often used (by writeups anyway) method for getting the outer race out of the hub (cuz, like you say, you can't reach it when the bearing is destroyed) is to tag a bit of welding rod to the race. Generally, when it cools it will come out easily. If not, the welded bit gives you purchase to tap it out from the other end.

RE: taking time over not screwing stuff up.

Good job!! Too often there's enough time to do it twice, but not enough time to do it right the first time. (the second time usually ends up costing you more, too! ;) )

paul

Jul 3, 1999
I just tried to replace my rear bearings i mannaged to knock thm out with a screw driver dut i cant get the new ones in, theres like a lip that only allows the bearing to go halfway in. I tried to remove the lip but still no luck it just wont fit. Did i destroy my inner hub or can it still be saved

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…