2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
Will the threaded rod technique work to remove the front wheel bearings on the YZ? I am not sure you can push out the bearing on one side by pushing in the bearing on the other. Is there a lip on the hub inside the bearing that keeps it from being pushed in too far? I'm just paranoid I'll bust my hub! :whiner:
Thanks to whoever replies.

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
I know most bikes will have a lip so you bearing cant slide inwards. What worked for me was heating up the hub for a little bit and then getting a punch and hammer and just punching them out from the opposite side. Took a few minutes, just make sure you heat the hub up nice and good.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
Yes, there is a spacer between both bearings but that can be moved from side to side inside the hub. I've always taken a punch or something and punched out the bearing from the OPPOSITE side. You can hit the bearing in the middle if you want because you'll be replacing them.

B

biglou

If you aren't concerned with saving these bearings (You are replacing them), then I wouldn't worry too much about heating the hub. Just take a screwdriver and pop off the dust seals on each side, then tap the bearing out from the opposite side. There is a little bit of a lip that you can get a punch on. Tap lightly at first, and move around the bearing as you tap. Usually you can just alternate sides (Tap once and then tap 180 degrees from that spot). They should tap out fairly easily.

If you are going to reuse them, do as Moo says and heat the hub, but not too long (couple minutes max). Make sure to do one side at a time and tap that bearing out quick before it starts to expand and get tighter in the seat! Good luck.

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
Definately replacing them! Its hard to hold a tight line when the front wheel is wobling just a bit. I will try the punch without the heat, thanks. One more question, though. The threaded rod will work on the swingarm and linkage bearings by pushing them through from the opposite side, Is that right? Normally, I just let a mechanic do it but I would like to do it myself, money is tight!

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
Yes, the swingarm and linkage bearings are like that, atleast on my bike, but they dont have any side to side movement like wheels. Definately dont try and push the bearings through the hub.

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
No, my swingarm and linkage bearings have no side to side movement, no round and round movement or any movement at all! I think the guy I bought the bike from had never heard of grease, but when you buy a new bike every year, I guess you don't concern yourself with maintenance! OK, just one more, I promise. The axle or bolt that goes through the swingarm and attaches to the linkage, does that just press out?

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
Unbolt it and tap it out with a hammer GENTLY. Once you get it out of the little recess you should be able to just pull it out.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom