someday

Jul 10, 2000
Working on rear wheel of '95 KDX.

The duct tape in place was nasty so I pulled it off and dealing with the residual tape goo is tough. Been using acetone and making progress but a lot of it has hardened. Would light wire brushing with a brush on a drill be OK?

The nipples look terrible. Caked mud and grunge UNDER the duct tape. Some of it had to be there when someone installed the tape, grrr. Soak with pentrant and try to see if they'll turn or ignore and retape? All the spoke are tight and the wheel's true (enough).

Lastly, the 1/4 inch gap between the hub and hub bearing spacer. Fill the entire cavity with grease prior to replacing the spacer? It wasn't when I pulled it out, just a light coating.

TIA.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I believe I'm to blame for your duct tape troubles, didn't I tape your wheel out at DW? You can use a wire brush on the rim with no problems, I actually did this to my wheel earlier tonight. I'd apply some penetrant to the spoke nipples, not necessarily to try and turn them but just so there'll be something on there to fight corrosion. As long as the wheel is true then all is well. On my KDX I always filled the space in the rear wheel with grease, it made it a tad messy when replacing wheel bearings but it seemed to help them last longer. Hope this helps.

someday

Jul 10, 2000
Hi Jeff, Thanks for the responce. This is my son's rear wheel, you "did" my front. Plus, you did a neater job. This fubar went virtually the whole width and even up into the sides! Thanks for other info too.

-Jeff

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom