Whew!!! Don't EVER drown your KDX....

Bryan Kimsey

Sep 10, 2001
I was cleaning my air filter and wanted to also clean out the air box. Not having one of those trick Acerbis covers, I came up with the "brilliant" idea of simply putting the fiter cage in a plastic bag and putting that over the boot. :confused: So, I did. After degreasing the air box and removing the homemade cover, I noticed some water in the boot. Arrghhhh!!! Got my shop vac and vaccumed it dry. Kicked the bike over-- whhooo, whooo, whooo... I recognize the sound of water in the engine when I hear it. :eek: Long story, short....water in the exhaust pipe, water in the KIPS cover, water in the carb, water in the top of the throttle slide (for crying out loud!!! :( ).

I thought I was gonna have to dissassemble the whole engine to get that water mixed w/oil mess out. FINALLY after cleaning everything and flushing pre-mix thru every port on the bike, I got it started by holding the throttle wide-open.

Never gonna do THAT again!!!!

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
I disconnect the air boot from the carb and then cover the carb end with a couple of plastic bags and a rubber band. Then I have at the cleaning and blow out the water, reconnect the carb. No problems yet.
Lew

slcyclerace

Feb 10, 2002
Listen carefully to your bottom end (main bearings). I just looked at a KX whose head gasket failed and the little bit of coolant did a quick job on the mains. Listen beyond the power valve noise foe a "cashhhhhhh sound." Wow, I just noticed that the sound spells the word cash...Huh.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom