Which air filter and filter oil?

jblalock

Feb 28, 2005
What air filter have you guys had good luck with? Twin-Air, Uni, other?

Also, what filter oil.

I just got my first KDX about a week ago.

Thanks
JB

bradf

Jan 26, 2004
The stock KDX filter is really a pretty good filter. It may not be the best flowing (least restrictive) like a K&N but it is good. I have both Uni and Twin on other bikes, but decided to keep the stock filter on my KDX. No-Toil and PJ-1 oils are very good.

Waffle

Oct 19, 2004
Another vote for NoToil. I bought one of their filters as well.

So much better than the Kero/gasoline soak, water wash (now what do I do with this contaminated water?), rinse, dry, oil... the not so good old days.

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
I use the stock one right now, but when it goes, I'll probably use a Uni. I had a Uni on my old KDX and really liked the Idea of the 2 elements. For oil, I use the Maxima spray. That stuff is real sticky and traps the fine dust I ride in really well. It is pretty tough to wash out with regular detergent though. I just ordered up the no-toil kit, so I'll see how that goes when I run out of what I'm using now.

Mike.

KI4CPE

Mar 14, 2005
I have a Moose filter that looks identical to the twin air. It has done a great job and holds up to cleaning very well. The price is pretty good too. I have used UNI spray oil, and also suzuki foam filter oil. When I got the Moose filter I noticed that it had a "lip" on the inside that may reduce airflow, so I trimmed the excess away with a razor blade. If you trim too much the filter won't seal, so be careful...

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
I imagine that you'll get numerous responses on this one....
I'm sticking with the stocker, and use Bel Ray. I've heard several folks (mostly on ktmtalk) that have had bad experiences with the No Toil/other spray on oils. They found lots of fine dust inside the box and not on the filter ;(
I have no experience with it, so I can't say...just passing on some info. I do know that the Bel Ray has never let me down, though.
As far as what to do with the used gas/kero after cleaning - it makes nifty fires, kills weeds, various other uses :)

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I use Castrol filter oil and really like it. It is fairly harsh on your skin in it's liquid state (before it dries out on your filter). I always wear rubber gloves when applying it. I hate the Maxima spray on junk! It does not cover the whole filter unless you squeeze it in and contrary to what the label says I always had to squeeze out the excess otherwise the bike would not get any air! Before I learned this lesson I sprayed that junk on my filter and went riding. It made my bike so rich it flooded and it took days to get it running again.

Knetman

Mar 10, 2005
I use a Twin-Air on my KDX200 (1997 H3). Soak the filter in oil and let it dry on the filter before reinstalling it.
Quite like the duel filter and it's resistance to sucking in water when river crossing.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I've used stock air filters, Uni filters and TwinAir. They all work fine, but the TwinAir are the easiest to own/clean. Since I got a four stroke, I've starting using BillyWho airfilters. Very similar to the TwinAir filters but a lot less money. I don't think Billy makes 'em for 2 strokes :(

As far as oil, by far, No-Toil is the best product that you can buy. It's actually more than just oil, it's an entire airfilter care system (cleaner, oil and grease). The best part is being able to wash your filter with water...in a sink.

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
That crap's all a gimmick!!! Just give it a quick swish in some kerosene or gasoline and it's perfectly clean!!! Blot it dry, lube it up and ride!!! I do like the spray lube though. It's really sticky and convenient to spray on, but I'm sure the cheapest filter lube you can buy will work just fine too!!!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Tom L said:
That crap's all a gimmick!!

You're kidding, right? :coocoo:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
That’s all I do too, I keep a big covered jar of kerosene in the garage.The dirt settles on the bottom and I pour it from the top into a tub, wash the filter and pour it back in.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I'm a No-Toil believer. I've never had a problem with dirt coming in through the filter, and I ride in some really dusty conditions in the summer, my clean airboot and piston will prove it. The people who have had problems must have been underoiling. I put excess on the filter, work it in for a couple of minutes, and then soak up the excess with paper towels.

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
I've been using the NoToil for a while now and have had great success... I'm pretty obsessive-compulsive so I have three filters in rotation with two always oiled and ready to go in ziplock freezer bags, and I change the filter and clean the old one after every single ride.

Some have told me that I'm nuts and that's too often, but how could you ever change your airfliter too often? I ask those same people "Tell me how it damages my bike" :) On really nasty, dusty rides I'd even change my filter on the same ride if it was convenient enough... and that's kind of the focus of the whole thing for me. Its convenient to change the filter after each ride _because_ of the Notoil, so that's why I do :)

I'm pretty certain that those who use the petro stuff would say Gas/Kero is not inconvenient, so I will only say I think NoToil is _more_ convenient for me :)

At the start I was extremely suspicious of NoToil, operating under the assumption that since the petro stuff is nasty to clean, dangerous and hazardous for your health it HAD to be better LoL! but I did my own checking and thru a run of about 5 different rides I smeared some clear grease (that I use in the differentials of my Radio controlled cars) in a patch on the inside of the aribox just inside the airfilter... After the ride I scoop it out with a clean plastic sheet and smear it on the sheet and hold it up to the light looking for debris... I also rub it inbetween two of the thin plastic sheets which makes it obvious (grinding sensation) if there is even the slightest bit of dust in the grease...

So far using NoToil (again changing filters after every ride) the clear grease has always come out as clean as it has gone in... Maybe the petro treatments are better at trapping stuff, but if the so-called "not as good stuff" still traps 100%... how can you go wrong avoiding the gas/kero fumes? :)

I also squeeze out the bulk of the oil after treatment into paper towels and so I don't have that dripping goo syndrome out of fresh filters that I hear others often have... I think they are leaving too much of the oil in...

have a good one all!

Feanor

fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
Are No-Toil, and Kawichem a similar product? For those who haven't seen it, Kawichem comes in three parts: Cleaner, oil, seal grease. It is Biodegradable, and washes off with water. The only downfall I can see is the availability.

sledman

Oct 23, 2002

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
Here's another vote for No-Toil. Started using it as that is what my riding buddies were using. We chip in and buy the bigger container of oil & cleaner and then divide it up along with some in the trailer. Two of us have KDX's so that gives 5 filters per weekend if necessary. I say if necessary because I also run filter-skins and I usually just swap out the filter skin after each ride and then a filter lasts the whole weekend. I've also heard of cleaning them in your washing machine, but I have never tried it.

I suppose that as long as you use something and clean often you'll be fine. :ride:

MY KDX 220 R

Feb 9, 2005
fundgh, yes No - Toil and Kawachem are the same product, just labelled for Kawasaki.
I use the Kawachem purely due to not finding the No - Toil at the local stealership.
Great, easy especialy when cleaning more than one filter at a time, and my wife doesn't mind me using the kitchen sink.

KDXdog

May 4, 2005
No-Toil convert!

But a question: After oiling a clean filter, how much oil do you do you "leave" in? I squeeze out the excess, but to what degree? I always feel like i've left too much in there. Do you squeeze untill NO oil comes out? or is that going to far?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…