kdxkid2000

Apr 5, 2007
how, in every step (i'v never done this) do you clean an air filter??

thanks, i think that might be why it's not starting but im not sher how to clean and oil the filter and the other stuff

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
There are many different methods. The one I used this past weekend was;

1. Take Airfilter off bike, and take it off the cage.

2. If it is two piece, disassemble it.

3. Put some gas in a pail, and put your air filter in the gas filled pail. Rinse the Airfilter with the gas thoroughly.

4. After Step 3, put some warm soapy water in a pail. Repeat Step 3, but with the warm soapy water instead of the gas.

5. After you are done Step 4, Repeat the process, but this time with just warm water. Make sure to get all the soap out.

6. Hang to dry.

I have not learned how to Oil a filter, but someone else will most likely chime in and give you some tips pertaining to that.

Cleaning the air filter, like almost everything, has many different methods, and this is just one of them.

:cool:

450X

Test It!!!
Mar 25, 2007
i guess i do the same thing except i dont use gas just soapy water and then rinse, some filters may get damaged from solvents or gas.

to oil a filter the easiest way is to get a large zip-lock bag dump some filter oil in it (ounce or so) and then put the filter into the bag
squeeze the air out, seal the bag and squish the filter around in the oil until it is evenly coated in oil, presto!! done and ready to install. :ride:

kdxkid2000

Apr 5, 2007
ya i put some 10w 30 on my hand and rubbed it into the filter then squeezed it to get the oil all in it, thats the way my dad tought me how to do it, the dang this still won't run, so it wasn't the filter

Fastsaki

Feb 11, 2004
I do not use Gas! Gas will destroy your filter quickly. Filter cleaners are good, but I just use dish soap and warm water and then rinse in warm water thoroughly, wring out and hang it up to dry. When dry, I use PJ-1 spray on air filter oil, it's easier than pouring it from a bottle, but either way rub the oil into your filter real good. I place the filter in a zip-loc bag to do this, then it's ready to put back in the bike or store.
We keep a couple of filters ready, stored in gallon size zip-loc bags just to speed up filter changes.
Also don't forget to clean out the air box, being careful not to get anything into your airboot. :cool:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I use PJ1 filter Cleaner & PJ1 Filter oil... Easy spray on application.

Spray on the filter cleaner, then squeeze the cleaner into the filter to make sure it
gets deep down. Then rinse with water. After it drys, spray with filter oil, and squeeze again to distribute the oil.

Put back on the cage and then back in the air box. Pretty simple

Oh.. just a tip, invest in a box of surgical type gloves.. You can get a box at Wal-Mart in the automotive section.. PJ1 is quite sticky.

Plus, don't forget to grease the lip around the airbox that the filter rests on. I use petroleum jelly.. Works pretty good.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom